Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th November 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Possible Katipunan Era Dagger

For discussion is this very nice dagger that I had the good fortune to be able to acquire
from one of our forum members. I believe this to be a Katipunan era item based mostly on
the shape of the guard. The triangle was a favorite symbol of the Katipunan and was eventually
even incorporated into the Philippine national flag. I have also been told that it was believed
to be a talismanic shape and that many of the talismans of the Katipunan were triangular.
All of the fittings are made of brass except for the one copper wire that is wrapped around the hilt.
While most of the hilt decorations from this time would use one solid wire and one twisted wire,
two twisted wires or even one flat strip and a twisted wire this hilt has two plain round wires,
one brass and one copper. I am not sure that these are original to this piece or later replacements
for damaged ones but if they are replacements they are old ones and will be left "as is" because they
are now part of the daggers history. The hilt itself is made of bone and unfortunately the very end of the
blade has some bending that will be straightened at a later date. As always any thoughts or information
that anyone has and would like to post would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I helped the seller identify this piece for the same reasons you mention. Even years after the Philippine-American War, say in WWII. The tiangle was important and even used by Filipino guerillas in their 3 man fighting teams in the jungle.

Anyway congratulations!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Jose, and thank you for your thoughts on this. I have one more question for you "or anyone else that would like to hazard an opinion" on this dagger. What would be your thoughts on its age? I would place it in the late 19th century but, I like everyone else I always hope the items that I collect are the older examples. Thank you again.

Regards,
Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 15th November 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well it is not technically Katipunan but if our thoughts are true it would be 1st Philippine Republic and would date to the turn of the 20th century, say 1899-1901.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote