Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd January 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
katana

Thumbs up 6 Very Nice African Spears .....comments ? Origins ?

Hi,
finally, Santa got me something I really wanted (socks are such a bore )

6 Spears , 3 seem very similar in construction ( socket arrangement and the shaft) although there are variation in spear head design.

2 of the spears have sockets with a 'triangular addition' ...a feature I have not seen before. One has very short barbs and the other has nice decoration on a rectangular (in cross section) shaft before the spearhead.

The last one has a lovely, well crafted socket with a decorated collar ...the blade seems to have laminations ..... The wooden shaft is a totally different species to the others which terminates with a socketted spade end.

I am extremely happy with them When I received them they were quite rusty and I have tried not to overclean. I believe that these are quite old, the wood has nice patination and I believe these were stored in a cool, dry environment for some time...so age cracking and warping has not occured. But, some shrinkage of the wood has.

Please if you have any ideas as to origins, or any comments at all, I would be most gratefull, thank you

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
I have no idea as to who ,why or where but I am sure they will make a terrific display. Very nice indeed.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Freddy

Thumbs up Nice set of spears

I think these spears originate from the Northeastern part of Congo, the Ubangi-area. As Tim said in another post, they are probably Azande or perhaps even Mangbetu. These are neighbouring tribes.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 07:45 PM   #4
katana

Hi Norman
thanks for the comments......as to a nice display of spears ...I have a problem convincing 'my other half' that a 'picket fence of spears' would look great in our living room. .....but I'm working on it

Hi Freddy
nice to hear from you, thank you for the probable origins of these spears you have been very helpful

I will try and post a better picture of the spear head (with the possible forged laminations) as I have never seen this on an African spear before.

Regards David
Old 5th January 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Of Spears and such

Hi David, not that I can be of much help on matters of spears, I do however wish to share this ebay link to a painting I was intending to bid on until it became a little out of reach so soon after Christmas.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=019

With regards to she who must be obeyed David, I think the picket fence of spears is a great idea, keep onto it I am sure she will soften as time goes by.

Enjoy.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
katana

Hi Gav,
very interesting picture, can't help thinking the spears, and the swords above them, look distinctly African .....Congolese possibly. The clubs are not 'common' types (in Africa), the seller suggests that these are Australasian /pacific, but being art there may be a degree of 'artistic licence'

An ethnical weapons collector, whom appears to be in period dress of the 17th Century...in a 19thC painting ...... could this be the portrait of the 'father' of our 'interest'......

Regards David

Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 6th January 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10th January 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
katana

Here is a few pictures of the forged laminated ?.... folded ? spearhead.

Difficult to photograph .... Has anyone seen this type of forged patterning on African Spears or blades ?

Regards David
Attached Images