Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th August 2014, 01:06 AM   #1
DaveA

Talking basement relic -> Panabas!

Late last week I happened to be browsing eBay soon after someone posted a basement relic sword for sale. It was reportedly brought back from The Philippines in the 1950's, mounted and hung on the wall by the seller's grandparents. The pictures were small and fuzzy but the distinctive shape of a panabas was there. I decided not to wait and took a gamble. The seller feels he got a really good deal for a rusty bit of metal, and I feel pretty good too!

The sword arrived today. Here are first pictures, before cleaning or rust removal.

Overall length: 43 inches
Hilt length: 13 inches. Plain wood with metal (brass?) helping secure blade.
Blade width: 1 ¼ inches at hilt to 4 ¼ inches at widest
Blade thickness: ¼ inch tapering distally towards tip
Blade is loose in hilt and easily removed; tang shows age

Decoration: Floral carving along entire back side of blade on both sides. Numerous metal plugs, intact. Serrated back edge near tip with small spike, concave clip point drop to tip. Overall angle shape.

Comments welcome, please. I can't recall seeing a panabas with a blade decorated in this way. Thoughts?

Best Regards,

Dave A
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Dave,

I think that it is a later piece, maybe middle of the last century what would confirm the given date of collecting. The older panabas swords has a different way to attach the blade to the handle, unusual to see a ferrule but frankly said I know not enough about panabas to be sure. Also the brass dots look a little bit weird. Will be interesting what the knowledge members will tell you about this panabas. Please post some pictures after you have given it some care and maybe have etched the blade.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 15th August 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Dave:

I agree with Detlef. This style is seen post WWII, athough some earlier examples may have similar okir motifs. The hilt also looks shorter than most panabas. The "crooked kampilan" shape of the blade combined with this style of decoration all point to mid- to late-20th C. These recent pieces tend to have thin blades, being much less robust than earlier forms, and were often intended to be decorative pieces.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 06:20 AM   #4
DaveA

Default Panabas blade thickness

Hello Ian,

Can you give me some more guidance regarding panabas "thin" blades intended for decoration versus more robust blades? What would a typical thickness be at the base? More than 1/4 inch? What about distal taper towards the point -- does the blade remain fairly thick or taper quickly?

Thanks for your interest and attention.

Best,

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote