Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2017, 12:11 PM   #1
CutlassCollector

Default Unidentified Boarding Axe - possibly French

Last month I visited the National Marine Museum in Paris in order to research their collection of boarding axes and was allowed access to their display in the museum and also their secure storage facility on the outskirts of Paris.

This axe together with another similar is in storage. They are of unknown origin and the only record that the museum has on them is that they were in the possession of the French Navy in the 19th century before being given to the museum.

They appear to have been made in the later part of the 19th century as they are engineered to a a high standard with precise fitting. The belt hook, (missing on this one), fits into the square hole and is held in place by a threaded bolt through the whole assembly.

It is a robust and large axe - blade to point of spike is 270mm (10"), axe blade 145mm (5.75"), and length is 555mm (22") - it has side langets which fit around the whole shaft and is reminiscent of the American Type III. The lower part of the spike has been separated during manufacture and shaped to form a hook.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It is possible that it was captured from another country at some time but I cannot identify it. I think it more likely it was a prototype of some kind, but I welcome any suggestions.

Regards CC.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 03:20 AM   #2
M ELEY

Fascinating piece, CC! I can't say I've seen anything like that before. The piece looks so 'minty' I have trouble believing that its of the 19th century. Love the haft with its patterning. As you pointed out, the langets are not in the typical French positioning (front to back with the blade/spike). The hook could have been used as a gaff, I suppose. The form looks to me more like the trench axes of the early 20th- If it is a boarding piece, I agree with you that it most have been an unproduced prototype.
Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 02:12 PM   #3
CutlassCollector

Hi Mark,

Yes I think a prototype is the most likely explanantion especially when you consider the second example. The spike hook is gone, the langets have reverted to front and rear, and although the axe is of very similar shape it is slightly smaller and lighter. The belt hook is intact on this one.

Although the museum records do not hold much information - there is no reason to suppose they are wrong. This one is also recorded as being in the possession of the French Navy during the 19th century.

My best guess is that these are prototypes made for the navy to sit alongside the 1872 Cutlass and never made it into production. The cutlass itself was never issued and only a few were made. By then there was even less use for boarding axes than cutlasses.

CC
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 12:38 AM   #4
M ELEY

Excellent information and documentation on these for what you have. I am now convinced you are right and they are a beautiful pair. it is interesting to see where the boarding ax patterns were "heading" in the late 19th c., towards the standard fire ax patterns and infantry side axes of the 20th. These should be added to the boarding ax page!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote