Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2005, 04:00 PM   #1
carlos

Default Tourist indian knife?

HELLO !!
I HAVE THIS INDIAN KNIFE 3 YEARS AGO, I BOUGHT IN AN ANTIQUES MARKET IN SPAIN. IS A TOURIST KNIFE OR IS OLD?. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!
CARLOS
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Carlos ,
Nice new work .
Not likely antique .
This bird's eye pattern in the blade is characteristic of new work coming out of India .
Very pretty ; I have a stone hilted example myself .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Chopped Liver...er...um...I mean Rick.

This is a new piece that came from India, the koftgari is nice, but on the base of the hilt the Mughals would not have done the koftgari that way. The velvet in the inside is also new. Little or no patina on any part of the piece, and, as Rick said, the bird's eye pattern in the blade is characteristic of what is now coming out of India (although it did exist back during the Mughal period too).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I agree with Chopped Liver...er...um...I mean Rick.
< straightens up , adjusts tie >

" Ya know ... I don't get no respect ......... "
Old 16th September 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
erlikhan

Battara,
the bird's eye pattern in the blade is characteristic of what is now coming out of India (although it did exist back during the Mughal period too).

I understand why you and others call it bird's eye for sure.Because of the shapes. But what you say about its existence in Moghul period confused me. I have thought till now, that all the new daggers with this bird's eye pattern or whatever is called, are all factory produced. Not hand forged. Correct? Also that is why they are always dull compared to antique hand forged wootz kinds, which ended in 1940's I guess. So you say that this pattern was being hand forged in the similar shapes in past, and now imitated right?
regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 01:13 PM   #6
carlos

Default THANKS!!

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE ANSWERS!!
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Erlikhan , I think many of these blades are still made at Mom and Pop forges in small villages .
Old 23rd September 2005, 02:59 PM   #8
ksbhati

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlikhan
I understand why you and others call it bird's eye for sure.Because of the shapes. But what you say about its existence in Moghul period confused me. I have thought till now, that all the new daggers with this bird's eye pattern or whatever is called, are all factory produced. Not hand forged. Correct? Also that is why they are always dull compared to antique hand forged wootz kinds, which ended in 1940's I guess. So you say that this pattern was being hand forged in the similar shapes in past, and now imitated right?
regards
Hi,

The pattern welded blades coming out of india are still hand forged. The birds eye is not the only pattern that is forged but is undoubtedly the most popular. The reason that the blades are dull is because Indian law requires them to be dull. If the blade is sharpened, then by law you require to have an arms license to carry them. Most traders etc. who have to carry these items insist to the smiths that they are made dull so that there is no complication. The idea is that whoever wants a sharp blade can have it sharpened at his end.

What is not usually mentioned is that most of these blades are not temper forged unless one specifically requests tempering. There I think the smiths are cutting corners to bring down the costs.

All the existing patterns of pattern welded damascus are based upon old patterns from the Mughal/Rajput period. Even the birds eye pattern is originally from that period.

Hope the above answers some of your queries.

Best regards,

Karni
ksbhati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2005, 04:33 PM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Karni,

Nice to hear from you, and thank you for clarifying things.

Does this mean, that old blade will be made dull for this reason, or is it only newer blades?

Does the law in India make a difference on newer weapons and antic weapons?

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 09:15 PM   #10
ksbhati

Hi Jens,

No, I dont think they would damage an old blade this way...specially not one which has clear pattern be it wootz or mechanical damascus. Most dealers and traders are well aware of the value of the antique pieces. Of course there may be the odd one which may have been dulled due to this reason, but I dont think any of the really valuable pieces would be.

The new pieces are a different matter. It is just not worth the risk to have them sharp and be hauled up in case your goods are inspected. The belief is that anyone wanting a sharpened blade can have it done himself by any competent smith.

Best regards,

Karni
ksbhati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Karni,
Thanks for your answer. I understand what you write, but fail to understand the logic. Most people attacked by someone are stabbed, not cut, so where is the logic?
I understand if you prefere not to answer the question, but you must admitt thet it is a bit strange.

Kind regards

Jens

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 09:09 AM   #12
kai

Talking

Quote:
Most people attacked by someone are stabbed, not cut, so where is the logic?
Well, weapon laws and logic seem to be a bit of an oxymoron - just about anywhere in the world AFAIK...
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 09:14 AM   #13
kai

Question

Hi Karni,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbhati
The reason that the blades are dull is because Indian law requires them to be dull. If the blade is sharpened, then by law you require to have an arms license to carry them.
Does this also apply to tools like kitchen knives? Or is there a definition of "weapon" like double-edged, size, I-know-it-when-I-see-it?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote