Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th January 2018, 12:44 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default YET ANOTHER FLASK for ID and COMMENT

Just arrived is this unusual powder flask. Looks to be made of copper. Balkans maybe?? What do we think Gentlemen?
Some observations: The decorated face appears to have been silvered at some stage but is now well worn and only shows on the grooves.
The back of the flask shows traces of having had either leather or some other fabric covering in the past.
The chain, now attached, appears probably not to be original. The squared loops seem more likely to have had a leather? strap thru them.
Any comments and thoughts welcome.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 07:09 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Unhappy ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Just arrived is this unusual powder flask. Looks to be made of copper. Balkans maybe?? What do we think Gentlemen?
Some observations: The decorated face appears to have been silvered at some stage but is now well worn and only shows on the grooves.
The back of the flask shows traces of having had either leather or some other fabric covering in the past.
The chain, now attached, appears probably not to be original. The squared loops seem more likely to have had a leather? strap thru them.
Any comments and thoughts welcome.
Stu
No ideas at all??
Old 1st February 2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Bob A

I agree with comments regarding chain, and square attachments.

Metalwork is pretty crude; poor design and execution. That's probably some kind of clue, but I'm unsure how to interpret it. There are places - Morocco, India, Persia, to name but a few - where I'd be surprised to see this. Given that firearms of this era and their appurtenances were not inexpensive, I'm a bit surprised that the ornamentation does not reflect this fact.

However, my experience does not extend to antique firearms at all. I'm merely feeling forced to say something, in the absence of other voices. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that I'm totally wrong.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Richard G

Based solely on the style of the silvered copper I would have guessed at Southern Caucasus, Western Iran, Eastern Anatolia area, but I am not going to argue this very strongly.
Regards
Richard.
PS, when I say 'silvered' I am speaking metaphorically, as it were. It is almost certainly actually 'tinned'.
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 05:32 PM   #5
kronckew

The repair on the back side is interesting...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 06:03 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
The repair on the back side is interesting...
Not actually sure it is a repair. It appears to have been made like that, but I agree an unusual feature.
Stu
Old 3rd February 2018, 04:33 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi Stu.

Totally stumped on this one. The shape somehow reminds me of Tibet (?) Or maybe somewhere in Southeast Asia (?) Sorry, have no idea.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:51 PM   #8
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your thoughts. Seems this one has also stumped others as replies etc have been very slow coming. Anyway whatever it is, appears to very different from the usual. Hopefully in time some concrete info will surface.
Stu