Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd July 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Greek Translation Please

Hi,
Having moved to a new apartment recently I was arranging displays of my collection when I realised I hadn't checked to ascertain whether the Rasak rifle I acquired a while ago was still loaded or not. Upon checking I was more than surprised to find a rolled note stuffed down the barrel. I've managed to extract said note, see photo, and would be grateful to any of the Greek speakers on the Forum for a translation. It appears to be dated 14-6-98, I presume 1898. Many thanks for your assistance.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
pakana

''Dear Alekos,

Today, together with uncle Ermolaos I send you this rifle(cargiofilli), which I had ready days ago, but these days no one's left.....(gap).
It is a weapon from a historic family, from the community of ..akidenon(can't read it), the stars and the other little nails that they are behind the stock are from silver, just as the nooses.

kisses

Atalanti 14/6/98"

Hope that helps a little bit

George
pakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi George,
Many thanks for the prompt reply and translation. Is the part that is difficult to read, 'akidenon', the torn section as I may be able to get a better photo of that part if it would help. Many thanks again for your help.
Kind Regards,
Norman.
Old 22nd July 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
rickystl

Norman: Nice looking Rasak. That is so excellent finding that note in the barrel. Congrats. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Sylektis

I read "Μακεδώνων" (Makedonon)
Sylektis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
pakana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylektis
I read "Μακεδώνων" (Makedonon)

You are right Sylektis, it is Macedonon. So, maybe in Atalanti was a community from Macedonia, and from that community comes your rifle Norman.

George
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
pakana

Macedonia is a part of northern Greece.
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Norman McCormick

Hi Sylektis and George,
Many thanks for your efforts on this, I find it interesting that this rifle was deemed to be a weapon belonging to an historic family as early as 1898. The gun has a date of 1825 incised in the brass sheet and I don't presume it to be much older than this, possibly used during the Greek War of Independence? Thanks again chaps.
My Regards.
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 23rd July 2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Hi Rick,
Thanks, it was a bit unusual to say the least to find 100 year old hand written documentary evidence hidden inside.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:46 PM   #10
ariel

Looks like it was 1885 originally, and then changed ( crudely, I think)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:39 PM   #11
pakana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Sylektis and George,
Many thanks for your efforts on this, I find it interesting that this rifle was deemed to be a weapon belonging to an historic family as early as 1898. The gun has a date of 1825 incised in the brass sheet and I don't presume it to be much older than this, possibly used during the Greek War of Independence? Thanks again chaps.
My Regards.
Norman.
Αlthough I know nothing about rifles, the image of it surely maches with the ones I've seen in museums, speaking of course about the time of Greek Independance from the Ottomans

George
Old 25th July 2011, 09:21 AM   #12
libra

Hi to all
Norman this is a rasak type of rifle.
I post some photos from Greek National Historic museum and from Millitary Museum with this type of rifle.
Can you please post some photos from your rifle?
All the best.
Aristeidis
Attached Images

libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Norman McCormick

Hi Aristeidis,
First of all my apologies for the late reply and many thanks for taking the time to post some great pictures from the museums, they are really interesting. I have taken some photos but they are not that great as my daughter has borrowed my decent camera and has gone on holiday to Mauritius. If you use the search function for Rasak there are other photos of the gun on other threads. If I can be of any help regarding more photos or anything else please let me know.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 31st July 2011, 07:52 AM   #14
eftihis

Hi Norman,
Your note made an interesting case!
I think your "kariofili" rifle ( i dont see why we should call it "rasak", since we never called it like that in GReece) is original.
THat means it was made inside the culture of the time, and not made latter to deceive a buyer as an antique one.
However, i would agree with Ariel's observation that the date of manufacture had at some point crudely altered.
This type of rifles were made from maybe late 1700s untill i believe at least the date of yours in 1880s. I post one with a older date (1856) but surely much after the revolution of 1821!!!
Of course the years of the revolution (1821-1830) are of bigger appeal to a Greek collector than a latter date, because you can imagine that the piece you have has seen some auction! However, the same type of weapons were continue to be made, for self protection, hunting, and even cereemonies like weddings, up maybe untill the end of 19th century!
So my thinking is that the date has been altered, probably in Greece, when the rifle was presented to the Greek buyer.
Now the date on the note can also be "1921", and being original, or made in the 70s to look old like it was written in one of the 2 dates possible (1898 or 1921)
Finally, the date on the stock could have been altered in the UK, by a merchant that would like his piece to "look older"! I have seen this some times in UK!
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Norman McCormick

Hi Eftihis,
Many thanks for your input, very interesting. Here are some photographs of the armoury marks on the underside of the barrel. The E surmounted by a star has been identified as the Mutzig Castle manufactory in Strasbourg operating from 1793 to 1870. Hope this info is of interest.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images