Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 30th August 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Jussi M.

Default Keris <=influence=> Gamelan ?

Greetings,

Long time no speak. So, the keris is both an artifact born of and a device that has shaped the Javanese/Balinese culture(s). I guess the same could be said about gamelan. My question hence is are there links to be tied between the two and if, what?

Music follows specific patterns and shapes alike does the keris. - If we would transpose notes and rhythms to shapes and designs, I wonder would there be "cross-talk" in between the two disciples - keris and gamelan?

Mind you - everything on this universe can be linked to patterns.

Cheers,

J.
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 01:12 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

and a pattern is a system

everything can be represented as a system, and once this has been done, every system can be subjected to analysis

Jussi, this idea is getting close to some fundamental truths, but the entire field represented by this idea is one that requires a lot of very dedicated research, research that a person would need to devote years to before he was even equipped to comment. I have never done more than look in passing at this relationship, and am thus not prepared to comment.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote