Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
katana

Default Firangi ? recently sold on eBay....with holes drilled into blade!!!

Recently finished on eBay......lovely hilt.....vandalised blade ....but still made a good price

Mad bidding...or am I missing something Please all comments gratefully received.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=012
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

It seems odd to me that a nice well made and decorated handle is with such a poorly finished and what appears to be a fairly low or basic quality blade. Maybe the handle is off an older nice weapon. I am going to be really mean and suggest that this could be a 19th cent souvenir wall piece. This type and style of work was used for a lot of early souvenirs. I could be horribly wrong but it does raise an eyebrow at that price.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

The picture looking directly down on to the guard, the forte looks as if it is quite good steel. It still looks very much like a standard trade blade.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 08:55 PM   #4
katana

Hi Tim,
I 'played' around with the contrast on the photo of the blade.....I think there is a possibillity that this is 'watered'.

Perhaps this explains the price If it is 'wootz'.... the idiot that drilled the holes should be &£$?*........ashamed
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hello David,

This looks like a nice firangi. Perhaps the holes were once filled with gold buttons, an indication of high quality? I recall some swords had such treatment, usually one insert close to the langet.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 10:15 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello David,

This looks like a nice firangi. Perhaps the holes were once filled with gold buttons, an indication of high quality? I recall some swords had such treatment, usually one insert close to the langet.

Emanuel
Hi Emanuel,
I did consider this possibility...but thought the position/spacing of the holes doesn't look right.....perhaps Jens could help

Regards David
Old 27th April 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Emanuel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
I did consider this possibility...
Hi David,

It would be very sad then if the holes had been drilled for something as banal as hanging...foolish people.

I'm getting seriously attracted to Indian arms. I have two tulwars now and want MORE I actually found that prices have been a bit low recently. A perfectly good pulwar just went yesterday for 100USD, then there are some in poor conditions like this khanda, or some cheap new Indian pieces going for heavy cash! It's maddening!
Maybe these khanda types are being snatched up for their possible Sikh connection?
Looking forward to what Jens, BI and Jim have to say about this one.

All the best,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you for your confidence, but knowing that BI and Jim are very occupied, I will try to answer.

It is true that weapons connected to the Sikh’s usually goes rather high on auctions, and if they are decorated with gold – even higher. This can, however, not be a surprise. First it looks nice, and secondly the gold represents a value, but back to the weapon in question. The holes do not represent a certain number of hanged men. If they represent anything, it is one hundred men killed, with the sword, for each hole – not hanged, but so far I believe it to be a rumor. So I do seriously doubt that this is the case with this sword. The holes in question are, as far as I have seen them, made in a need row along the spine of the blade, if the is more than one – and not scattered over the blade.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 07:10 PM   #9
katana

Hi Jens,

thanks for the reply , it is indeed a nice sword....and if I read you correctly ....these holes were nothing to do with decoration or used as a 'score card'..... I could understand if the holes were near the spine.....as there would be less 'weakening' of the blade.

Emanuel, I must also admit a growing interest in Indo-persian arms....their forms and functions are facinating, and some of the quality examples are breath taking

Regards David
Old 29th April 2007, 03:30 AM   #10
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile

I have frequently noticed the feature of holes, usually filled with iron, in the forte of Indian blades and I have several examples with this feature, including an example with an old European blade.

I have assumed these often represent artifacts of previous mountings but I also wonder if sometimes they may have been placed to suggest a blade was an heirloom, even when it was not.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 10:50 AM   #11
kronckew

i have little experience with these, but have noted a number of indian weapons with re-enforcements riveted to the blade just about where those holes are, one appearing in a current thread re cleaning

could this be a re-hilted blade that in past lives had re-enforcing plates attached?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 11:15 AM   #12
galvano

Default hole

hi
There are holes also towards the point of the khanda.
It are sealed.
Attached Images

galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 11:29 AM   #13
kronckew

interesting - the refilled hole near the tip could have been for a different purpose, proofing slugs, or forging flaw repairs?, how many are they & are they evenly spaced? how far from the point is that one? (the patterning to the blade in the last pic looks wootzy!)

the blade in the linky i put above has decorative strips riveted on one side fairly near the tip which would leave holes if removed (may look filled if sheared off), and would have left off centre holes at the ricasso.

anyway, nice weapon. holes near the centreline would not seriously weaken the blade anyhow, especially if nice round ones.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 12:36 PM   #14
galvano

Default holes

They are not repairs.
They are perfectly in the center.
With the point, it is silver.
Point, second hole 15,5 cm.
Second hole, third hole 14,5 cm
Attached Images

galvano is offline   Reply With Quote