Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th March 2015, 05:11 PM   #1
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,768
Default Is this a Cross Cultural Yunnan Dha?

I'd love more info on this fascinating dha/daab/dao sword. As a lover of cross cultural pieces, this strikes me as having both Burmese and Chinese influences, so I am suggesting it is Yunnan, but am open to other thoughts and input.

The silver work on the scabbard has both Chinese and Burmese influence. Note the fine filigree work on the fittings, and of course the dragon motif. The flowers appear to be set turquoise and corals(?). The tassel is original to the piece.

The blade is rather plain, showing some low contrast layering and a clear tempered edge.

When I first saw it I thought it could not be very old, but the silver was heavily and deeply patinated(see the fittings), and the faceted hilt and blade clearly show their age. Perhaps this is late 19th century to very early 20th century work?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Attached Images
       
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Royston
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Poole England
Posts: 421
Default

A very nice sword Charles.

Certainly looks like coral and turquoise. Is there possibly a Tibetan influence as these are very popular there ? Or are they common in Yunnan as well ?

The hilt is an usual shape, not had one like that. Is it ivory ?

Regards
Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 7,107
Default

Outstanding dha! Congrats Charles. Would agree with you, Burmese/Yunnan dha. Here an example from the Macao exhebition for comparison: http://arscives.com/historysteel/images1/253-iag12.jpg

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,605
Default

INCREDIBLE WORK!

The precision of the coral and turquoise is difficult work. Beautiful piece - never seen its like before. Looks like to me there is some patina where the silver and the ivory meet, which if true, suggests to me that the silver work has been there a long time.

Would love to examine this in person!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 10:40 PM   #5
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Outstanding dha! Congrats Charles. Would agree with you, Burmese/Yunnan dha. Here an example from the Macao exhebition for comparison: http://arscives.com/historysteel/images1/253-iag12.jpg

Regards,
Detlef



Thanks Detlef,

Funny thing is that ha was once mine and I sold it like a fool, but I believe the one you have shown us is much later than the one here.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 10:48 PM   #6
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 7,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thanks Detlef,

Funny thing is that ha was once mine and I sold it like a fool, but I believe the one you have shown us is much later than the one here.


Judging from the pictures I would agree. But you have handled it so I believe that you are correct. But still think that it is good for comparison to show the same origin.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 10:52 PM   #7
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Judging from the pictures I would agree. But you have handled it so I believe that you are correct. But still think that it is good for comparison to show the same origin.

Regards,
Detlef



Oh yes...apologies if I offended you...it is DEFINITELY a great comparison. The silver work looks like it could have been done by the same smith.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 10:56 PM   #8
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 7,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh yes...apologies if I offended you...it is DEFINITELY a great comparison. The silver work looks like it could have been done by the same smith.


Not the minimal offence taken! Don't worry.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 3,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thanks Detlef,

Funny thing is that dha was once mine and I sold it like a fool, but I believe the one you have shown us is much later than the one here.
Charles:

I am grateful that you decided to part with it all those years ago.

The two dha are indeed similar and the silver work is very similar to some of the Shan style but with a distinctly Chinese flavor. The scalloped chape and toe pieces in particular show a strong Chinese influence. It is quite possible that this is another Husa dha, and it is perhaps relevant that the Husa swords are found to the north, in Assam and up to the Tibet border.

I particularly like the solid silver work on your new one and the ivory handle is well sculpted. Definitely a work of distinction.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 02:41 AM   #10
Andrew
Vikingsword Staff
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,725
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
I'd love more info on this fascinating dha/daab/dao sword. As a lover of cross cultural pieces, this strikes me as having both Burmese and Chinese influences, so I am suggesting it is Yunnan, but am open to other thoughts and input.

The silver work on the scabbard has both Chinese and Burmese influence. Note the fine filigree work on the fittings, and of course the dragon motif. The flowers appear to be set turquoise and corals(?). The tassel is original to the piece.

The blade is rather plain, showing some low contrast layering and a clear tempered edge.

When I first saw it I thought it could not be very old, but the silver was heavily and deeply patinated(see the fittings), and the faceted hilt and blade clearly show their age. Perhaps this is late 19th century to very early 20th century work?

Thanks for any thoughts.


Wow. Just...wow.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Nathaniel
Member
 
Nathaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 865
Thumbs up

Wow! Thank you for sharing Charles! Man, just when you think you have seen it all...you see something like this! Fantastic! lovely silverwork with the dragon/ beast on the hanger on the scabbard...very different silverwork, lovely stones, coral and turquoise that certainly does remind you of Tibetan works...also the multi sided ivory handle is not as common...very nice!!! Tibetian, Chinese, Tai influences...not saying it's Husa, but some of the Tai smiths in these regions do make blades, even those commonly associated as Tibetian for trade...not hard to imagine as you also see some of the Tibetian style hairpain steel in some of the higher status blades that widen at the square tip and are usually called Kachin/Naga Dao with the open faced scabbard, wild cat jaw pendent and hour glass handle..... Awesome, awesome piece, Charles! I swear this man has a time machine, with the fantastic condition and unique pieces he finds!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.