Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2022, 01:57 PM   #1
cornelistromp

Default Publication Gothic to medieval swords and helmets

Yesterday received my copy from the book Gothic to Medieval Swords and Helmets. A collection of 53 medieval swords, 1 dagger and 5 helmets coming from the private collection of David Petty, which he has built up in a period of 60 years of collecting.
There are also 5 helmets published, however, the emphasis is on early medieval swords.

Very interesting for the medieval sword enthusiast because these are not previously know or published swords which are described in detail here. The structure is a bit like ROMS but then more accurate with a lot of dimensions (including fe point of balance, centre of percussion max width and thickness of tang), and images from different corners.

I received my copy via David Watson in the UK. but expect that this edition is limited in number.
I am satisfied with this publication, very useful as a reference work + it has given me some new insights.
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 04:53 PM   #2
NeilUK

I can endorse Jasper's comments. The photographs, printing and paper are all of high quality, and the amount of detail in the measurements of the swords is far beyond what we see in most catalogues. The book is not cheap - 75 pounds sterling in the UK,+ postage, but then very little is cheap these days. All in all I thoroughly recommend it for the mediaeval sword enthusiast.
Neil
NeilUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2022, 06:34 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Allow me to ask a silly question; isn't that in the back cover a helmet modified for the Gioco del Ponte ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 11:57 AM   #4
NeilUK

Not a silly question at all, Fernando. This helm is described in the book as a 15th century kolbenturnierhelm, designed for the duel/tournament with clubs and rebated swords - slightly less dangerous than jousting with lance and sharp sword. But it is very similar (?identical) to the later Gioco del Ponte jousting helm.
Neil
Old 31st May 2022, 03:07 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

So it is, Neil; thank you.
I almost acquired one of these Gioco del Ponte helms; but didn't get beyond the almost.
Recalling my visit to the Philly Museum in 2014.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2022, 05:58 PM   #6
Villerica

How many of the swords and other arms and armour are authentic in this book ? What percentage ?
Villerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2022, 09:50 PM   #7
Philip

Default source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post

I received my copy via David Watson in the UK. but expect that this edition is limited in number.
I am satisfied with this publication, very useful as a reference work + it has given me some new insights.
I'm not familiar with the UK book trade, so does this Mr Watson have an online retailing site? I tried to Google him and I get a David Watson who's the author of a number of books that mix religion and politics -- clearly I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Please PM me with direct contact info if posting it on this thread violates the Forum's anti-commerce rules. I'd like to order a copy while it's still available.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2022, 01:03 PM   #8
NeilUK

Villerica: The book claims that all the swords (54 mostly mediaeval) and helmets (5) are authentic and I have no reason to think otherwise, though of course I have only the photos and detailed text to judge by.

Philip: Dave watson is a printer-publisher (under the name Dave Watson Solutions) who has previously published books on fishing and fishing-rods.
Hope that helps both of you.
Neil
Old 19th July 2022, 09:45 PM   #9
Radboud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilUK View Post
Villerica: The book claims that all the swords (54 mostly mediaeval) and helmets (5) are authentic and I have no reason to think otherwise, though of course I have only the photos and detailed text to judge by.
Other places where I've seen this book discussed they mention that some of the examples shown are fakes.

To be honest, this isn't surprising considering that fakes are known to turn up in museums as well.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote