Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Default GERMAN SIDEARM?? for I.D Please

A friend of mine has this item acquired recently. Can someone please I.D. Not shown in pics, but there is a Crown over 0 over 8 on the spine of the blade.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Atlantia

It appears to be a variation of the 1869 Werder Yataghan bayonet with the end cut down.
At least the blade seems to be that.
If the handle is original its some variation I'm unfamiliar with, presumably for Artillery (or possibly a bandsman?)

Edit: There were plenty of variations within these bayonets/swords, I wonder if this was made as-is even with the short nose? Does it look recently cut back? The curve shows the blank was intended to be the standard Yataghan, but it would be an effective stabber at this length, but Its a strange blade to see in a handle which you expect a double edged 'gladius' style blade, but there were other types. The pioneer reg's had some single edged with saw backs.
Its an interesting piece.

Last edited by Atlantia; 8th November 2008 at 01:09 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi Stuart,
Suprised nobody else has chimed in to solve this little mystery!
From reviewing the pictures it looks like the blade has been in the handle for a very long time so I'd assume its original to it. I notice that it has a single tang pin, whereas the bayonet version would have had 2 plus the tang was full handle length incorporating the spring catch etc. The tang in your sword must be shorter by the look of it, whether or not it extends far beyond the pin. The pin is in the right place (as in the same as the bayonet). I've had quite a few Yataghan bayonets over the years and I specifically remember having one with the same solingen makers marks. I don't recognise the Gladius style handle though. I'm thinking it may well be a deliberate marriage shortened bayonet blade and gladius handle for a specific reason. The bandsmens swords often have lighter handles, and yours is the same scale as artillery or pioneer style swords which would make the short blade very back heavy I imagine. Have you had a chance to have another close look and see if you notice anything more?

Regards
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 10th November 2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10th November 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
William V.

The marking could be:

Weyersberg & Stamm
Solingen

All the best

William
William V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Iliad

Default German Sidearm (?)

Hi everyone. I am the owner of the item, which my good friend Stu has kindly posted for me. There are no markings other than those already mentioned.
I shall attempt to attach 2 pics of the piece side by side with a Snider sword bayonet, for comparative purposes. Thank you for your assistance. Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Atlantia

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/...n%20models.htm

About half way down the page. Still can't place tha hilt on yours.