Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2007, 01:01 AM   #1
FenrisWolf

Default New arrival -- Khyber knife

I received this a couple of weeks ago, just got around to photographing it. Nice representative example of the breed, with some interesting detail work on the hilt.

Blade is 22 1/2", OAL 27 1/2". Hilt is marine ivory over horn, with lighter horn inlays along the edges. A touch of brass between the steel bolster and the blade. Scabbard is a well-made replacement, chape may or may not be a carryover from an earlier scabbard, but I'm inclined to think not.

Blade in generally good condition, but had a reminder of the responsibility to maintain the conditition of one's collection. The previous owner oiled the blade before putting it away, but didn't make allowances for the scabbard rubbing the oil off the blade as it was sheathed. Combine 20 years of storage with the moist sea air of Hawaii and the front two inches of the tip were badly rusted. I'm cleaning the active rust off and doing a little smoothing before coating the blade with a better preservative.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Flavio

Very nice!!! Congrats
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 07:59 PM   #3
katana

Very nice example...it seems to have a nice broad blade (in relation to its length). You have been busy Fenris .... you've certainly acquired some quality pieces these past few months.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Very nice example...it seems to have a nice broad blade (in relation to its length). You have been busy Fenris .... you've certainly acquired some quality pieces these past few months.
Well, a lot of the ones I've posted have been in my possession for a while, but I have been spending more time lurking on ebay than I should, the curse of being stuck at home a lot of the time and bored out of my skull....
Old 28th February 2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

The chape is nice chasing and well done. Is it silver? (based on the black tarnish)
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 02:28 AM   #6
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
The chape is nice chasing and well done. Is it silver? (based on the black tarnish)
I believe so, but probably fairly low content.