Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th October 2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Karttikeya

Default Jalak Sangu Tumpeng

Here I have attached a shared photograph for discussion. The dapur is Jalak Sangu Tumpeng, probably the keris was made in Majapahit period (Mpu Sendang Sedayu made?). I am looking forward your opinion.
Thanking you in advance

EDIT

Karttikeya, I have copied your picture and uploaded it to the site . Links of any kind are strongly discouraged; you will please upload your pictures to the forum site [ NO LINKS ] if you want them to be posted .
Neither I nor David have the time to do this . If you are unclear about the process please see the photo posting directions .
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13631
Thank you .
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 24th October 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Karttikeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I am surprised that no one has chosen to reply to this post .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
ganjawulung

This Jalak Sangutumpeng in the picture, reminds me to the best jalak sangutumpeng picture I've seen in Musee de l'homme's book (Paris) some couple years ago. Picture below, the Musee de l'homme's jalak sangu tumpeng. I took reproduction from the museum's book some years ago...

Not so many jalak sangu tumpeng -- which has good 'garap' I've seen. Mostly, comes from supposed to be Mataram Senopaten (without pamor, but some with only very minimal pamor or "wulan-wulan" type pamor), and some of them supposed to be Majapahit tangguh, with very smooth, greyish-black blade...

Here is the example for comparison, Karttikeya...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Karttikeya, based upon what I can see in the image you have posted, I feel that many people would be prepared to classify this keris as Tangguh Majapahit.

It possesses many of the features of form that align with a Majapahit classification, but the ganja is too straight and thin to conform to that which is expected in a Majapahit keris. The other indicators that I can see do echo Majapahit, but as is usually the case with questions of tangguh, I am reluctant to commit myself to an opinion based upon an image on a computer screen. When I say that the features "echo Majapahit", to my eye, these features appear to have been executed by a maker who had knowledge of the form of the indicators in a Majapahit keris, but who perhaps had never seen one.

In respect of the concept of tangguh.

This is a system of classification that was developed for a specific purpose. In the case of keris classified as a tangguh of the recent past, say within the last 300 to 400 years, it is possible that there could be a high level of agreement between the designated tangguh, and the era from which the tangguh name is taken. In the case of keris from the distant past this agreement between designated tangguh and era of the same name, is very, very dubious.

However, as with most things to do with the keris, we are dealing with a belief system, so for anybody who believes that a keris that is classifiable as a particular tangguh, was made during the era of the same name, so be it. For that person, it was.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 04:19 AM   #5
PenangsangII

With respect to Karttikeya's Jalak Sangu Tumpeng, I would opine it is a Mataram piece, most probably of Senopaten era, but with very significant Padjajaran outlook especially at the gandik...very slanting feature there (mboto rubuh)
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 06:07 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

What i see is a nice old keris with a certain presence in not quite as old nice dress. It is a keris i would welcome in my own collection. Does the sheath appear to have been made specifically for this keris?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Karttikeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Karttikeya, based upon what I can see in the image you have posted, I feel that many people would be prepared to classify this keris as Tangguh Majapahit.

It possesses many of the features of form that align with a Majapahit classification, but the ganja is too straight and thin to conform to that which is expected in a Majapahit keris. The other indicators that I can see do echo Majapahit, but as is usually the case with questions of tangguh, I am reluctant to commit myself to an opinion based upon an image on a computer screen. When I say that the features "echo Majapahit", to my eye, these features appear to have been executed by a maker who had knowledge of the form of the indicators in a Majapahit keris, but who perhaps had never seen one.

In respect of the concept of tangguh.

This is a system of classification that was developed for a specific purpose. In the case of keris classified as a tangguh of the recent past, say within the last 300 to 400 years, it is possible that there could be a high level of agreement between the designated tangguh, and the era from which the tangguh name is taken. In the case of keris from the distant past this agreement between designated tangguh and era of the same name, is very, very dubious.

However, as with most things to do with the keris, we are dealing with a belief system, so for anybody who believes that a keris that is classifiable as a particular tangguh, was made during the era of the same name, so be it. For that person, it was.
Mr. Alan, thank you for your such explanantions..by the way, based on its design this keris comes from later period of Majapahit or probably older than Majapahit? If you do not mind, kindly give an opinion about this keris..thank you
Old 28th October 2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Karttikeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
This Jalak Sangutumpeng in the picture, reminds me to the best jalak sangutumpeng picture I've seen in Musee de l'homme's book (Paris) some couple years ago. Picture below, the Musee de l'homme's jalak sangu tumpeng. I took reproduction from the museum's book some years ago...

Not so many jalak sangu tumpeng -- which has good 'garap' I've seen. Mostly, comes from supposed to be Mataram Senopaten (without pamor, but some with only very minimal pamor or "wulan-wulan" type pamor), and some of them supposed to be Majapahit tangguh, with very smooth, greyish-black blade...

Here is the example for comparison, Karttikeya...

GANJAWULUNG
Pak Ganja, thank you for share this Jalak Sangu Tumpeng photograph..You mean my Jalak Sangu Tumpeng is considered good? Most the people classified this keris as tangguh Majapahit..What do you think?
Old 28th October 2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Karttikeya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I am surprised that no one has chosen to reply to this post .
Hi Rick, thank you for the first reply in my thread to trigger other comments. I did make a mistake by show up the link and I thought none is interested with this topic..Thank you Rick, anyway..