Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Pestle and Mortar.... Really?

Can you guys have a look at this please.
The 'pestle' is huge (80cm long) iron and very heavy. Just doesn't look right to me. I know its a bit OT but has anyone seen anything like these before?
The pestle has a hole through it, small one side (3mm ish) wider on the other and rectangular (7mm/3mm ish).

Thanks
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 12th June 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:16 PM   #2
tom hyle

Well, it's pretty definitely a mortar. Looks pestly; they came together? Vs a wooden pestle it was likely expensive material wise (would be cheaper now, probably though), and more work to make, but consider the durablity and increased bite of the harder surface, and also the assistance the weight would give to the work. Certainly seems too heavy for a weapon. What's with the little hole? What's with the depressed band? I don't know. Did a fulcrum/axel/turning handle insert through the wedge-shaped hole? Did something grab the depressed spot? Does it seem original with hammer marks (I see none in the depression) or worn in with rotary wear from use? Interesting too.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The top 2 pictures are missing for me, Gene .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Bizarre

Hi Gene,
Such a heavy iron thing hitting into (apparently soft) wood ... what an odd combination
Shouldn't the 'mortar' upper rim be regular, instead of grooved?
Have you tried to simulate some striking? Does it feel plausible?
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Gene,
Such a heavy iron thing hitting into (apparently soft) wood ... what an odd combination

Fernando
If the pestle and mortar are an original 'matched' pair ...I can think of one possible use ...to 'refine' gunpowder. This would explain why metal would be used with wood......metal to metal could generate heat/sparks .....not good with black powder around . I would imagine that stored black powder may 'clump up' into lumps, if used, without breaking them up, the effectiveness of the powder is much reduced ...lessening the explosive power.

When I first saw the pictures.....I kept thinking the 'high' seas and cannons.... I'm probably 'wide of the mark' ....it certainly wouldn't be the first time

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 01:54 PM   #6
tom hyle

And the channel around the mouth of the mortar catches spills. Nice Owner; pleas stick as much of your head as will fit in there and breathe deeply. I'm serious. Any interesting smells?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 05:34 PM   #7
laEspadaAncha

Looks more like a butter churn IMO, though the idea of an iron churn is rather unappetizing.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote