Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Recently Arrived Parang

this one arrived during the holidays, haven't had a chance to photograph it till this morning. was sold as an around 1900 Blade.

heavy steel blade 17.5 in., 1/4 at grip, distal taper to 1/8in. at the notch in the spine 4in. back from the tip. no markings other than the inscribed line on the ricasso area, blade is sharpened ahead of but not behind the line. securely fastened grip is 5in. very smooth, appears to be rattan or some wood with a growth joint node all the way around near the base of the fork. grip is quite smooth and there is a fibrous turks head binding at the blade junction. the scabbard is of a hardwood, with a slight iridescent quality to the grain. overall colour is very like walnut. decorated panel has slots where the binding disapears but said binding is visible when looking inside the scabbard mouth but is out of the way of the blade. there is also a braded grass or similar fibre carry strap which is held in place & tied to the upper string fibre scabbard binding.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT LOOKS LIKE BORNEO WOULD BE THE MOST LIKELY ORIGIN OF THE PARANG/ MANDAU. THE SCABBARD THOUGH PLAIN COMPAIRED TO MANY EXAMPLES HAS A SHAPE TYPICAL OF DAYAK WORK AND THE BLADE ALSO HAS A SHAPE FAVORED BY DAYAKS. THE HANDLE FORM IS A BIT DIFFERENT THAN USUAL BUT CLOSE ENOUGH PERHAPS IT WAS LEFT LIKE THAT TO LEAVE ENOUGH WOOD FOR CARVING BY THE OWNER. IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT A BASIC NEW MANDAU WOULD LOOK LIKE BEFORE IT WAS PERSONALIZED BY ITS OWNER. I HAVE SOMETHING SIMULAR IN MY COLLECTION.
I AM GUESSING BUT I SUSPECT A YOUNG MAN WITH LIMITED MONEY WOULD BUY A PLAIN MANDAU OR BLADE AND PERHAPS CARVE IT HIMSELF OR GET A FRIEND OR RELATIVE TO HELP HIM DECORAT IT PROPERLY LATER. IN LATER TIMES THE CARVING AND FANCY RATTAN WORK WAS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THEY WERE USED MOSTLY FOR WORK AND OLD TRADITIONS NO LONGER APPLIED AS NO HEADS WERE TO BE TAKEN. JUST AS WE DON'T DECORATE THE AX OR MACHETE WE USE AROUND THE YARD THEY WOULD NOT DECORATE A MANDAU TO BE USED IN MUCH THE SAME WAY.
THEY STILL MAKE THE FANCY CARVED MANDAU WITH FANCY RATTAN WORK BUT TODAY IT IS FOR CEREMONY, PRESENTATION OR TO SELL TO TOURISTS NOT TO CHOP BRUSH. THE EXAMPLE YOU HAVE IS FOR USE AS A TOOL BUT COULD OF COURSE SERVE AS A WEAPON IF NEEDED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Bill M

Agree with Barry.

Is the binding

Turk's-head (Ferocactus hamatacanthus) ?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote