Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2006, 04:27 AM   #31
BSMStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Of course this was not as hard and fast, but a little fluid in influence and power.
So Battara, why would this rule be any different than any other Philippine sword rule... it's a sundang.

All kidding aside, great research!
BSMStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2006, 09:57 AM   #32
Willie W.

Quote:
Perhaps I am missing something here but I thought the discussion was on inlays not twisted cores?
Oh yeah, about the inlays...
Willie W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2006, 09:57 AM   #33
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Panglima

Battara's research and Willie's rankings are correct.

We actually did quite a bit of research on this while in Sulu as we had to get it right before we engaged the traditional heirarchy. They are VERY conscious of rank still (at least in Sulu) to the point where seating arrangements and invitations would take up an inordinate amount of time and have to be vetted through all groups involved just to sit down and have a meeting.

There are still the three varieties of Datus on Sulu. A Panglima refers to a representative of the Sultan. The individual could have been a Datu also but the designation of Panglima carried with it the weight of the Sultan's authority (and generally a sizeable force of soldiers). Panglima's were generally used to enforce trade agreements from recalcitrant Datus or sent to handle matters between warring Datu's. As with most kingdoms the farther you get away from the seat of power the less control you can exert. Panglima's were the Sultan's enforcers and would insure that any stray Datu's were brought into line.

By the way. I read a couple of Peter Gowing's books. Mostly he borrowed from what was already published -no new insights of his own. In addition he spent all of his time in the Lake Lanao (Marawi) region of Central Mindanao which has signifigantly different cultural aspects from Sulu. Thomas Keiffer wrote what I thought was the most insightful book on the workings of the Sulu culture in his Book "The Tausug". He spent 2 years living with the Tausug in Eastern Sulu.

Dan

Last edited by wilked aka Khun Deng; 5th August 2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: additional info
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 09:53 PM   #34
Spunjer

pictured is Panglima Unga, barung master extraordinaire, patriarch of the Unga clan from Talipao

to reinterate on the ranking system in Sulu: A datu comes from the royal line. His father is either the Sultan or a datu. A panglima is the head of a kauman or district, that is large enough. The title is conferred upon the person by the sultan. The Panglima represents the people in matters to be brought to the sultan, like a mayor. some Panglima are chosen as members of the Ruma Bichara, which is like a Parliiament. The Ruma Bichara (supreme council or "house of talk") formulates laws and decides with the Sultan questions on matters of state, where the Panglima members are like the House of Commons and the Datu members are like the House of Lords. The Ruma Bichara also decides who is and proclaims the Sultan. No Sultan can be proclaimed by any one person unilaterally. It has to be the unanimous choice of the Ruma Bichara. The term "panglima" started when there were only five districts in the sultanate: Maimbung, Patikul, Parang, Luuk, and Latih. Thus, pangLIMA. They were the "hand, eyes and ears" of the Sultan.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 11:04 PM   #35
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think my dad said the same thing about this picture when he saw it in Cato's book, that this was panglima Unga.

As far as panglima is concerned, I wonder if this also applies to Aceh in Indonesia, since the term I believe is also used there and the panglima is also chosen by the sultan there (pre-Aceh War).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 11:31 PM   #36
Spunjer

dunno much about aceh history, jose, but i'm assuming it's related somehow. understand tho, that it's been a long time since Sulu had only five districts. this was during the reign of Sharif ul-Hāshim, the first Sultan of Sulu, around 1480...
Old 21st December 2011, 01:21 AM   #37
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

IIRC, Saleeby mentions a Sumatran connection in his 'History' .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 12:45 PM   #38
Spunjer

thanks rick! i need to re-read the Sulu Zone, but i guess we're getting into history now...