Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2022, 07:27 PM   #1
Victrix

Default Your thoughts on this kattara

Hi all, I’d like your thoughts on this kattara. Does it look like a genuine Omani antique? It looks in remarkably good condition and I was thrown back by the double headed eagle which looks more a symbol of Rum (Byzance) than Oman.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2022, 08:01 PM   #2
ariel

I am afraid it is new, for Fanoon: traditional Omani male dance. Such swords need to be pretty, not neccessarily functional, and well decorated. Their blades had to be very flexible, to emit vibrating sound when swept.

The dance itself ain't no Bolshoj Ballet, the choreography is two-step left, shake the sword, two-step right, start again, but people look proud, masculine and happy. Who could ask for anything more? God bless them!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2022, 08:05 PM   #3
TVV

Without seeing the blade and given pictures quality, it would be impossible to tell. The older scabbard rings tend to be more massive and not just a piece of silver sheet, so that is not a good sign, but it may still be an older blade and hilt in a newer scabbard.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Victrix

Thx for your replies. It was listed as 19thC Omani kattara but failed auction several times and was returned to seller. Now we know why.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2022, 01:28 AM   #5
Peter Hudson

No its not normally for the Funoon ..They use the straight Sayf for the Razha in the Funoon. It is in my opinion a Kitara although the 2 headed bird puts me off as its an add on...The criss cross silver stitching is typical on long hilts as both sayf and kitara have this pattern. I have just written on this at my new thread. Please see Zanzibar, Said The Great and his influence on Omani swords and weapons. We need to see the blade please.
Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote