Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd February 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
templarnight

Default Firangi Sword

Hi

Just picked up this Firangi.

Just interested to know if anyone would have any info about the Silver 'Buttons' that are hanging from the Guard.

Are they purely decorative or do they have any meaning??
Attached Images

templarnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Interesting.....those buttons LOOK like the decoration often seen on Yemeni Jambiya. Maybe an arabic connection with it's original owner thru trade. Many Indian traders to Arabia and vica versa.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I must admit I cannot recall having seen these type fixtures attached to a khanda/firangi hilt, but Stu's observation seems quite well placed. There was indeed long standing trade between India and Arabia.

I noticed in Elgood ("Arabian Arms & Armour", p.76, 9.13) a janbiyya with two ornamental fixtures attached by chains on the sheath. This example was apparantly from the Hijaz and stated probably from Mecca, with the two containers used to hold cotton dipped in attar or ambergris. It is interesting that these fragrance components were key trade items between India and Arabia. I thought perhaps that these silver elements added to the firangi hilt might be alluding to the connection to Mecca, possibly to someone having made the pilgramage.

Another possibility may have some association to the Mahrattas, who were of course primary users of these swords. In Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual" (p.255), it is noted that Mahrattas often used a 'horse bangle' tied to one leg of thier horse before battle proclaiming they would conquer or die. It is believed that silver was obnoxious to evil spirits. Perhaps these silver bulbs may have been intended talismanically in this sense.

Indian swords seem often to have auspiciously intended attachments so in any case there may be a number of possibilities, with these stated presenting both Muslim and Hindu aspects. It is my personal opinion that decoration or motif on most Indian edged weapons is seldom simply aesthetic , and typically has distinct symbolic purpose.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

These resemble the more common Tulwar pommels and finials seen on South Indian daggers and Tanjore katar.

I personally would suggest they remain as part of a fastening system for the inner padding now missing as these Khanda hilts typically have half a dozen holes where fabric ties or ties such as these would have been.

I might add the small backing plates that these lobes sit on are akin to decoration seen on Khanjarli and other Indian weapons, or at least those I have bought, sold or traded.

My 2 cents.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

I tend to agree with Gavin these swords always had some type of padded guard to protect the users hand as seen on many Scotish basket cup swords. I have seen these perforations in the same area of the hilt. The long back spike was used as a two handed grip when wielding the sword in battle. Here is an example of a Khanda hilt from my collection for comparison notice the small holes on both sides of the D-guard where the padding would have been attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 3rd February 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think Gav is right, and I had forgotten about the padding inside the hilts of these.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote