Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th July 2008, 02:03 AM   #1
asomotif

Default Old bali blade in tourist dress

I bought this keris.
This type of tourist dress has been dsicussed before.
But I woud like some comments / info on the blade.

Without Peksi it is 31 cms long. seems rather small for a balinese blade, not ?

Althought the tourist dress spells ugly from back to front, I am wondering if this is something that should be kept as it is.

Or is the blade worth of being refurbished ?
And if so, any idea on the costs of a new wrangka and Ukiran in balinede style ?

Thanks fro any info comments.

Best regards,
Willem
Attached Images

Old 25th July 2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Alam Shah

Hi Willem,

Actually the blade looks javanese to me... a nice looking elegant blade too.
This seems like a mix-and-match combo for tourist. The blade seems to have some age to it, imho.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

It is always difficult to appraise a blade from photographs, especially when the blade is out of stain, and if the photos are not taken at an angle as close to 90 degrees as is possible,however, based upon what I can see in these photos I am inclined to think that this blade is either Bali or Lombok. There are too many non-typical features for me to give it as a Javanese blade.

New Balinese dress is probably not a financially viable option.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:58 AM   #4
PenangsangII

Though I didnot get the chance to touch the blade surface, judging from the pix I would say I is quite smooth a.k.a polished. Like Alan had said, could be Bali or Lombok. But then the pesi looks rather too small for bali or lombok piece, and I understand why Alam Shah thought this is Javanese blade. Would East Java or even Madura be the origin of the blade?
Old 25th July 2008, 03:10 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

From photos, and out of stain, anything is possible, however, the blumbangan looks bata adeg in the pics, and the ada-ada is difficult to align to any Javanese blade, additionally, even though the ron dha is eroded, filling in with possibilities, I cannot see a Javanese ron dha, the sogokan are finely formed, more typical of Balinese workmanship, the pawakan is difficult to judge because of the camera angles, but it has the gutsy look of Bali to me, not the delicacy of Jawa or the sinister quality of old Madura.The top of the gonjo is hard to align to Jawa. Just too many things that don't fit a Jawa blade. If you say "Jawa", you need to be able to say "Jawa whatever". I cannot do that with this blade, and there is nothing of Madura in it that can see.
Old 25th July 2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
From photos, and out of stain, anything is possible, however, the blumbangan looks bata adeg in the pics, and the ada-ada is difficult to align to any Javanese blade, additionally, even though the ron dha is eroded, filling in with possibilities, I cannot see a Javanese ron dha, the sogokan are finely formed, more typical of Balinese workmanship, the pawakan is difficult to judge because of the camera angles, but it has the gutsy look of Bali to me, not the delicacy of Jawa or the sinister quality of old Madura.The top of the gonjo is hard to align to Jawa. Just too many things that don't fit a Jawa blade. If you say "Jawa", you need to be able to say "Jawa whatever". I cannot do that with this blade, and there is nothing of Madura in it that can see.
Thanks for the pointers... I see... good valid points.
Old 25th July 2008, 10:04 AM   #7
sjors

If anyone is interested: I saw this keris is allready on Marktplaats (a Dutch kind of Ebay)
Old 25th July 2008, 02:03 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjors
If anyone is interested: I saw this keris is allready on Marktplaats (a Dutch kind of Ebay)
Can you send me a link. If that is the case then i am afraid this discussion is closed for the duration of that auction.
Closed Thread