Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th July 2008, 01:51 AM   #1
mzugelder

Arrow Knife Identification

Can anyone help me identify these two knives? One is similar to another posting on this page but have a different cap on the chopsticks and it came with a silk and jade tassle. The other is a Solingen Germany blade with "Fritz" and a scene engraved on the blade. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

mzugelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Atlantia

Hi, welcome.

Top one is as you have seen a Chinese Trousse set of chopsticks and utility knife.
Chopsticks look like bone, mounts look like silver alloy or plated. Difficult to age as they make very traditional sets still today. Look for ageing in recesses, wear inside 'scabbard' from continual removal and insertion of items.
They are nice little sets as they were essentially 'travelling cutlery', often they had a top cover.
Other knife is a nice modern bowie knife, have a close look and you will be able to see if the handle is stag horn or molded plastic.

Edit>
It may well be real stag-horn, I'm not used to seeing it so clean.
As for the silver/silvered mounts on your chopstick holder. Don't clean it with polish. If you want to buff the highpoints try a gentle rub with newspaper.

Last edited by Atlantia; 29th July 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
josh stout

[QUOTE=Atlantia]Hi, welcome.

Top one is as you have seen a Chinese Trousse set of chopsticks and utility knife.
Chopsticks look like bone, mounts look like silver alloy or plated. Difficult to age as they make very traditional sets still today. [QUOTE]

The trousse looks 20th c. to me, though not necessarily made yesterday. Even small village made utility knives were almost universally pattern welded with inserted high carbon edges. This one looks like it has high quality fittings, and the blade should match. I can't tell from the picture if the blade has an inserted edge, but if not, then it is most likely of mid to late 20th c. origin.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote