Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2006, 09:06 PM   #1
ariel

Default How to kill a tiger?

Well, in case you wondered how to kill a tiger properly, here are step-by-step instructions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The only concern is what to do with a tiger who did nor read this recipe?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Where can I get a lucky tigers paw for my keyring?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Mark

Exclamation

Oh, what a crock! Anyone who has seen "Sandokan" knows that you give the tiger a dirty look, wait for it to leap, and then dive underneath it and slit its belly open with a keris as you fly past each other. Yeesh.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 10:07 PM   #4
panday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Well, in case you wondered how to kill a tiger properly, here are step-by-step instructions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The only concern is what to do with a tiger who did nor read this recipe?

Roy Horn (Siegfried & Roy) should read this! I guarantee, he will buy that sword.
panday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 11:19 PM   #5
not2sharp

I haven't been attacked by many tigers recently; but, I'll keep it mind for the next time.
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 11:31 PM   #6
M.carter

Interesting price for tiger's bane.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 03:11 AM   #7
Titus Pullo

Tigers are large animals. When they stand up on two legs, they taller than a tall man; that's a little over 6'. Thus you'd probably need something very large that can make a vicious wound. Because tiger would very difficult to hurt it. In ancient Rome, they pit a tiger against a lion and the tiger killed the lion in a few seconds. The Romans were pretty pissed, too. Tigers are build to take down large animals; they're more compactly built; they're shorter legnthwise, but taller at the shoulder. They've been known to even take down juvenile elephants, water buffalo, drag a domestic cows six feet over the wall, and plugged a man down from a very tall tree. [laugh!] that's why the tiger is a simbol of courage and strength in Asia.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 03:26 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I usually climb a palm tree and let the tiger run around and around the bottom until it turns to butter ...... then I put it on my pancakes .....

Last edited by Rick; 27th April 2006 at 03:37 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 04:46 AM   #9
Andrew

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I usually climb a palm tree and let the tiger run around and around the bottom until it turns to butter ...... then I put it on my pancakes .....
lol.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 06:23 PM   #10
katana

Uzi 9mm...........the weapon of choice Unless it's THE tiger, of Winnie the Pooh fame, then I would imagine a eye to eye stare would suffice, something like this....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 06:30 PM   #11
M ELEY

They're bouncy,bouncy,bouncy,bouncy,fun,fun.fun,fun,fun...

Hmmm, I'm remembering what happened to the real Winchester in that scene the "Ghost and the Darkness" (excellent flick I can't recommend enough). Perhaps I'd hide and wait until it dies of old age.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 06:44 PM   #12
katana

Well those Tiger killing knives must be effective in the 'hundred acre wood' because as Tiger says in his song ...... 'I'm the only one'

...and there's me thinking it was loss of habitat that was the cause of dwindling Tiger populations.
Old 28th April 2006, 07:13 PM   #13
ErnestoJuan

Red face Sandokan .. ahhhhhhhhhh childhood memories

When I was a little 'un, I was fascinated by Sandokan, the tiger slayer and banned aristocrat or outlaw pirate? Just as descibed by Mark; the ritual of killing the beast consisted of the tiger and Sandokan both taking an enormous leap towards each other where Sandokan would leap a bit lower than the beast in order to divide its belly into halves. Did we ever see the guts falling out like in the first Star Wars movie? Can't remember

I do remember vividly that Sandokan had too much make up, especially the black lines under his eyes and I really think the knife he used was more like a kukuri though than like a keris.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Ernst
ErnestoJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Mark

No guts. As I recall the shot of the tiger was just of the body hitting the ground and sliding, back facing the camera. Actually, now I can't picture the knife he used. Maybe it was a khukri.

He had a huge scimitar, too, which he used when he really wanted to kick colonial tail. It was all very acrobatic, as I recall; lots of whirling, leaping, diving. I have no idea whether or not it was historically/culturally accurate, but it looked really cool.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 01:50 PM   #15
katana

I do hope that no Masai read this thread. I think their proud warrior tradition would take a knock.
On the basis that someone could take down a tiger with a knife ...the killing of a lion, with a spear, must be childs play.
With a number of Masai warriors fatally wounded during such activities, the Masai Mara must be one dangerous play-ground.
Old 29th April 2006, 02:17 PM   #16
ariel

Guys, that's a hundredth time I hear about "Sandokan". Is it really a fun movie? Can one still rent it? I saw DVDs on e-bay with the old one (Steve Reeves) and a new 5 hour series. Which one should I go for?
Old 29th April 2006, 03:02 PM   #17
spiral

Just started a thread about Tiger hunting with a kukri, that may be of partial intrest in relation to the ebay sellers claims.

tiger hunt with kukri!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 04:59 PM   #18
ErnestoJuan

Default Sandokan

Hi Ariel,

Don't know about the movie, I used to watch the series when I was a child.
Just look at the better bittorrent sites and have fun

Here's a pic of my childhood hero, looks like he's waving an old chinese boxer sword?
Attached Images

ErnestoJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 10:20 PM   #19
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
I do hope that no Masai read this thread. I think their proud warrior tradition would take a knock.
On the basis that someone could take down a tiger with a knife ...the killing of a lion, with a spear, must be childs play.
With a number of Masai warriors fatally wounded during such activities, the Masai Mara must be one dangerous play-ground.

I'd not want to meet a lion or tiger with either a kukri or a spear but, given the choice, I'll take the spear!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 11:54 AM   #20
erlikhan

I had read somewhere that Indian villagers wear a human face mask to the back of their heads when they work in fields to avoid tiger attacks,because tigers don't attack people from front.Is it so or not?
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 05:09 PM   #21
Tim Simmons

You are right I saw a TV program on the problem of tiger attacks. What is worse? tiger attack or crocodile or shark, not a great deal of choice, somehow the croc seems the most horrible to me.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 05:32 PM   #22
katana

An interesting fact about crocodiles is the muscles that open the jaws are incredibly weak. Stout elastic bands place over the snout are capable of preventing a croc from opening it's mouth.

So from a survival point of view, when wandering in the 'wilds' always carry a Kurkri and a selection of strong elastic bands.... Oh ...and stay out of the sea
Old 13th May 2006, 05:39 PM   #23
erlikhan

You must be careful not to get alone into wilderness, and must pay the same degree of care to be able to run fastest,or if you can not,at least faster than the slowest one in the environment to stay alive instead of dreaming yourself as Conan the Barbarian to beat a croc,tiger or even a dog .
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 02:37 AM   #24
ariel

Just had ankle surgery and have to stay at home for a while. I bought some movies on e-bay, and "Sandokan" (the Italian 5 hour series) is one of them.
Tomorrow I am going to be busy...
Will report.