Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st December 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Mecca Style Jambiya

Up for comments is this lovely Mecca style jambiya. The scabbard is marked Sana 1927 but the dagger seems to be 1940-50? Comments welcome.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting

Interesting Lew,

The blade edges and forte markings are similar to a Rhino and silver hilted one I have here. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of this piece.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Smile COME IN STEVE

Hi Lew,
So you were the lucky punter.................well done! Hopefully Steve will see this post and come in on it. I think he has some comments relating to the scabbard and dagger.
A VERY nice piece, but I was chasing something else (successfully as it turned out) at the time and the spare $ only go so far!
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Stuart

The only thing that bothers me is that the jambiya's hilt is much smaller in width than the mouth of the scabbard which makes me think that it is not original to the scabbard? Here is a sold piece from what looks like the same maker marked 1931 mine is 1927 they look exactly the same but it seems the dagger fits better or is it me? Maybe these scabbards were purposely made a bit wider to accomadate different jambiya most of which are pretty uniform in size?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 2nd December 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Stuart

The only thing that bothers me is that the jambiya's hilt is much smaller in width than the mouth of the scabbard which makes me think that it is not original to the scabbard? Here is a sold piece from what looks like the same maker marked 1931 mine is 1927 they look exactly the same but it seems the dagger fits better or is it me? Maybe these scabbards were purposely made a bit wider to accomadate different jambiya most of which are pretty uniform in size?

I think you're right Lew.
The fit seems just too loose. Whats the blade like? It looks much more modern than the scabbard. Is the blade solid?
The scabbard is beautiful though.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

It won't be here for a while but I do have other older jambiya that should fit the scabbard nicely depending on what I happen to be wearing that day I actually went for it more for the scabbard than the dagger.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Steve

Hi Lew,
I think you've bought an interesting package. I was also watching it while it was on eBay and had a discussion with Stu on the items.
I agree with you, in that the dagger and scabbard are probably independent items. The scabbard is very typical from Yemen, the Hadhramaut area. Made up to the early 1930's. However, if you are correct about the Sana'a mention ( i can't read Arabic) - then it is quite unique. It may have been bought in Sana'a but not usually made there?

I think the dagger in the package is quite nice in its own way. The blade looks good and seems to have been cleaned in the very typical arab way. This style silver hilt is unusual for most of Yemen , and I would guess it comes more from the Asir/Najran areas.
Both items are quite good and congratulations on a good price.
Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:59 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Stuart

Hi Lew,
I see that Steve has now come in on this. As he said, we had a discussion regarding this piece while the auction was still live, but I did not want to pass on what he had said in case I got the facts wrong. Anyway I also think you got a very nice item even though perhaps the two "bits" did not start life together.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:24 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Thanks guys will let you know when it arrives and what I think of the overall quality.