Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th January 2012, 05:47 AM   #1
NovelsRus

Post Middle Eastern Mystery Dagger #2 - Bird Head

Hi, all,
First a big thanks to all the forum members who helped me I.D. that first mystery dagger (chainpuri churi), esp. Espada, who owns one himself. (That makes two of us on the planet that I know of, Esp.)

Now for the next mystery. My wife tells me her late great-uncle in Arkansas, a retired antiques dealer, used this dagger for years and years as a letter-opener. I've since seen these on eBay and elsewhere (at ludicrously inflated prices, I M H O), so I ceased all letter-opening activities, polished it, sharpened it (Arkansas whetstone, what else?) and now present it to you. What IS this thing? A mini Jambiya? Kenshar? Or is it.....a letter-opener?
Attached Images

NovelsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
broadaxe

Very nice dagger, one of the best executed of this type that I've seen so far. It is a south Lebanese khanjar from the district of Jezzin. There is even a folding version with a similar hilt.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
NovelsRus

Thumbs up Broadaxe hits it dead-bang!

Right you are, sir. Finally stumbled across the town of Jezzine, in southern Lebanon, as THE capitol of such bird-headed daggers. Seems the place is world-famous for silverware, flatware, cutlery, etc. And, since I learned this is actually a Khanjar, that makes it a Jezzine Lebanese Khanjar. Or letter opener.

Thanks for the help, Broadaxe. I appreciate it.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
broadaxe

Default No problem

Glad I could be of help. How long is this khanjar? regular size is about 25cm or 10" overall. I think the bird hilt was ragarded as presentation, rather a daily carry dagger. To my best knowledge the personal arm in Lebanon and Upper Galilee (northern Israel) was a broader khanjar with a flat hilt, sometimes in the shape of simplified horsehead, like in the attached photo.
Attached Images

broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Here is a folding version I brought from Damascus a few years ago. I am glad to know where it is really comming from, now. Thanks
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 04:20 PM   #6
NovelsRus

Smile In answer to Broadaxe, Re: Birdheaded Khanjar

Broadaxe -- the dagger is 11" overall in the scabbard; out of it, the knife's 10.5".

As for the folding version, that has to rank as one of the coolest little folding blades I've ever seen. How long is that, when open? I must have one.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

It is nit with me now, nevertheless not more than 14 cms open. I is very small pocket knife
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 04:41 AM   #8
Devadatta

These are mine

Devadatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
NovelsRus

Default Nice!

Very cool daggers, Deva. In great shape, too. Now I've got to have another like your dark one. Can't have enough Jezzine Khanjars, can we?
Thanks for the post!
Old 27th September 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
twdroppoint2

Thread bump ... and first post I thought I would add to an already existing thread, rather than start my own

I owned one of these knives (a fork and knife set, not a dagger) as well at one point ... I got mine from an individual who had served in Iran/Persia before the Revolution, and even knew the Shah. So I assumed it was a Persian trousse type of set.

Members from a knife forum I'm part of helped me with the Jezzine id however. My question is ... when did the bird motif first begin in that area ? Or in other words, at what point did they first start focussing on it iconically ? I'd like to know because I'm curious which came first ... the chicken or the egg so to speak. Did the design of the bird originate with them, or did they borrow it ? I've seen similar designed handles on so called "Bosnian" made knives, so I'm assuming a country like that copied the style as well, for example.

Thanks for any help
Attached Images

Last edited by twdroppoint2; 27th September 2013 at 09:50 PM.
twdroppoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 06:22 AM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=lebanon

HERE IS A LINK TO A OLD POST ON THE SCARCE FISH DAGGER FROM THE SAME AREA. I THINK THERE IS AT LEAST TWO MORE POSTS ON KNIVES FROM THIS AREA IN THE ARCHIVES ONE LINKED IN THE ABOVE LINK BUT UNFORTUNATELY THE PICTURES ARE MISSING.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 07:01 PM   #12
NovelsRus

Cool Damascus pattern and acid etching/

Hi, all,

Recently asked about a rather dodgy khanjar on ebay, re the actual blade steel (since I couldn't see anything like a Wootz or Damascus pattern). The blade appeared to have been burnished or worn smooth, and looked to me like plain, old steel.

Seller said, "If you don't acid etch the blade the pattern will never appear on any damascus."

First thought? Rubbish! Damascus should show through regardless of "acid etching." Methinks this chap is the one doing the "acid" etching, and is plainly tripping out.

Wot say ye, all? Is the seller full of codswallop, or is there any legitimacy to his hallucinogenic, acid-induced ravings?

Last edited by Rick; 13th October 2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: active auction
Old 12th October 2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Well, I see a cold shut in your second photo ....
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 10:07 PM   #14
RSWORD

Actually, that statement is not rubbish. I have owned many a blade that the pattern was obscured from patina, rust, or even had been polished bright and after a polish and etch the pattern appeared. A good way to illustrate this is to loo at a wootz blade with an ill fitting scabbard. The scabbard will wear on the blade enough to obscure the pattern. If you polish this area and then etch it the pattern will return. Just don't store it back in the scabbard!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 10:36 PM   #15
NovelsRus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
...I have owned many a blade that the pattern was obscured from patina, rust, or even had been polished bright and after a polish and etch the pattern appeared. A good way to illustrate this is to look at a wootz blade with an ill-fitting scabbard. The scabbard will wear on the blade enough to obscure the pattern. If you polish this area and then etch it the pattern will return. Just don't store it back in the scabbard!
You know, that's pretty good advice, RSWORD. Before I start hurling comments about others doing acid, perhaps I should learn more about aged wootz and various obscurations it can undergo.

I still think this seller is tripping, tho. Can anyone spot anything like a Damascus or wootz pattern anywhere on that blade? I have some acid etching solution at home, maybe I should just buy the thing, etch the hell out of it, drop a few hits of acid and wait and see? Sounds good!
Old 12th October 2013, 10:42 PM   #16
NovelsRus

Exclamation Cold shut

Hey, Rick, could that mean this thing was forge or pattern welded?
Not a true Damascus but a would be?

Thx!
jf
Old 13th October 2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

'Damascus' is a pretty loose term these days .
A cold shut is probably rarer to see in wootz than in a pattern welded blade .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote