Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th February 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Conogre

Default Beautiful Philippine Shield

I thought I'd post this for those that missed it, although I seem to be in the minority with my love of tribal shields.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
I gave it my best shot, but, as you can see, was blown out of the water, with someone getting a beautiful, IMHO addition to their collection.
Shields definitely seem to be climbing in value quite drastically, if nothing else.
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA

I like the tribal shields also,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Great shields

Two wonderful shields with good age.

The Igorot shield posted by Mike is one of the best I have seen. Excellent decoration.

And Bill, you got a great deal on that Naga shield. Congrats.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Conogre

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but is your Dayak shield one or two pieces of wood?
I understood that, like many of the Philippine shields, they were carved out of one piece with the handle integral to the body, but unless my eyes are decieving me, I seem to see a fine crack along the center edge and the grip seems to be inserted into the two handle ends....is this just tricks of light and my old eyes?
That's a beautiful piece, by the way, with it's simplicity adding much to it.....excellent find.
Mike
Old 24th February 2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Hello Conogre, I love shields but they are usually over my budget.I have two, this rhino or hippo skin one, and I also have the more common Somali type that is carried up the arm.I have put two knives that could have been used with shields like this one in the picture, just for an idea of size,and the aggression needed to charge into a breach in the enemy, armed only with these weapons.Tim
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 01:11 AM   #6
kino

Default nias shield

The Philippine shield is very nice. I bet the seller was surprised that his "African Shield" sold for that much. Not much of a sleeper.

Here are a couple of images of a Nias Shield. Note the 2 Hornbills? carved on the front. The rear of the shield has a pair eyes carved on it. Looks like a later addition. Someone told me it's suppose to watch your back.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 02:20 AM   #7
Naga Basuki

Location: Big old machine shop/foundry/warehouse in Atlanta GA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conogre
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but is your Dayak shield one or two pieces of wood?
I understood that, like many of the Philippine shields, they were carved out of one piece with the handle integral to the body, but unless my eyes are decieving me, I seem to see a fine crack along the center edge and the grip seems to be inserted into the two handle ends....is this just tricks of light and my old eyes?
That's a beautiful piece, by the way, with it's simplicity adding much to it.....excellent find.
Mike
Thanks Mike,

I have carefully examined it under a bright light and it really looks like one piece of wood. Handle and shield.

Bill
Naga Basuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 04:51 AM   #8
Andrew

I was outbid last year on a retangular Thai sheild. I'm still recovering.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Conogre

That is a gorgeous Nias shield as well, and yes, I can truly relate to the "recovering" as well!!**grin**
There was also one of the woven rattan shields offered recently and I think that one went for about $700 as well.
Here's a few more of mine...the last one is a duplicate/reproduction/fake, your choice.
I started out making a miniature version to go with a resin sculpture and by the time I finished I said "what the heck" and gave it a try....the original Bagobo shiled that I patterned it after was being offered for $2700 by a site that now has 3 more, all inlaid with MOP and priced even higher.
The two art shields I love and felt much better after seeing several in the mugshot thread, knowing that I wasn't alone in my appreciation of them.....they're huge, heavy and the carving is wonderful.
The one old Indian dahl shield is Hippopotomus hide and is the most "proven" of all of my suspected battle pieces from anywhere, as there's a musketball hole that has a copper patch riveted over it.
In case anyone ever asks, hippo hide definitely won't stop a bullet!!! LOL!
Mike
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2005, 02:29 AM   #10
zamboanga

great looking shields mike.

carlo
zamboanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2005, 02:51 PM   #11
kino

Conogre, tell me something about the Helmet that is pictured with the Northern PI shield. BTW, nice shield collection.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2005, 03:20 PM   #12
Conogre

There's not a lot I can tell you about the helmet...it's a spanish style morion that I picked up at an antique shop several years ago, along with a breast plate.
The owner knew nothing about their origin and I even less, and even though it was before the current SCA craze, I still think they are reproductions......about 16 ga. steel with a few years accumulation of rust and patina.
My guess is that they are some of the Toledo reproductions from the early to mid 20th century.