Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th September 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default P1821 Troopers Light Cavalry Sabre

Hi,
A new addition today, British 1821 Pattern Light Cavalry Sabre Troopers version. Blade, guard and scabbard stamped Osborn which is quite nice as I presume this means it is as issued and not a battlefield or otherwise amalgam.
The blade is a substantial 35 1/2 inches long and just shy of 7/16 of an inch thick at the ricasso. It has been sharpened for 25 inches from the tip plus 4 inches of the back edge. I have photographed it beside a Wilkinson 1821 Pattern Heavy Cavalry Undress Sabre from 1877/78 which by comparison looks a bit 'weedy', it isn't of course it's just the L.C. sword is quite a beast. I would of course be interested in any info regarding dates etc. and of course any comments welcome as usual.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 26th September 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 01:11 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow!!! What an absolutely beautiful British cavalry sabre!!!!
These are the quintessance of the British light cavalry weapon of the early Victorian period and I always have associated them with the immortal "Charge of the Light Brigade".
These were the pattern swords carried by the regiments that comprised the Light Brigade in that tragic event, and when the beautifully filmed movie "Charge of the Light Brigade" came out in 1968, there was also a record album with the sound track.
On the cover was David Hemmings on horseback as Capt. Louis Nolan at the dramatic moment of impact when he was struck by an artillery shell, and holding upright one of these impressive sabres.

It seems that Osborn was one of the early makers involved in sword production during the Napoleonic period, and I have never seen the name stamp on the scabbard and hilt, typically only on the blade back. This seems a sound and completely intact example which as Norman has noted, is often somewhat a rarity as swords and thier scabbards often were separated and replaced.

If I am not mistaken this pattern was initially introduced in 1821, but a production hiatus mid decade resulted in the pattern regained in production
in 1829, when the sheet steel bowl sabre for heavy cavalry troopers was introduced. Thus it seems that whether it is an 1821 or 29 often is questioned, though I think 1821 is most common.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 27th September 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
As usual many thanks for your info and interest. The acceptance stamp using only one number was discontinued in the 1840's so that places this sword
before this time. This models connection with that 'famous charge' along with the unusual, in my experience, instance of every major component independently and similarly stamped was immediately fatal to my bidding arm. I have attached a photograph of, what I believe is, a Light Cavalry Trooper contemporary with this 1821 model with one of these swords at his side.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote