Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th August 2009, 04:31 AM   #1
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Contacts in Bangladesh anyone??

Currently in Bangladesh and while I have numerous local drivers out scouring Dhaka for swords, even a 10% finders fee has only turned up two handles and an old British Calvary sword. Anyone out there have any suggestions. Should've picked up something when I was here 24 years ago, but water under the bridge now.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Currently in Bangladesh and while I have numerous local drivers out scouring Dhaka for swords, even a 10% finders fee has only turned up two handles and an old British Calvary sword. Anyone out there have any suggestions. Should've picked up something when I was here 24 years ago, but water under the bridge now.

Dan
Interesting situation Dan, and look forward to seeing what you will come up with. Can you say more about the old British cavalry sword? These old weapons from the Raj can sometimes prove pretty interesting...any markings?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Calvary sword

Jim,
It had a straight single edged blade of which only the edge was only sharpened from the point to about half its length (and not very sharp at that). large wide fuller that ran the length of the blade with etchings. because of the blade's filthy condition we could only make out a crown, a star burst and the word provincial (or provinces) perpendicular to the length of the blade about halfway down. The blade was stamped at the ricasso (circular stamp with a crown and the word "proven"). Basket guard of cast bronze with a cast pommel, lower half of spiral leather with a single twisted pair wire running between the overlaps.
Scabbard was white metal with two attachment points the bottom of scabbard had a rounded hourglass plate attached (though the point had punched through it)
Not my field or I would have paid more attention, but he wanted like $1300+ for it so I didn't pay much attention
Of note is he also had a Fields breech loader - massive gun - probably 30+lbs with a caliber larger than any I've ever seen - stamped 1885 I believe. More of a hand held artillery piece than a gun
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 04:19 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Dan, for the description on the old British sword. Sounds like it must have been one of the standard officers swords c. 1890's-1910, but of course hard to say without seeing it. Interesting enterprise with 'pickers', and while you offer 10% finders fee, I am wondering what kind of finders fee they are getting from the sellers they are 'aligning' This kind of money for a relatively late British officers sword in poor condition ? Just my opinion.

I always hope to hear of British military swords turning up over there with regimental stamps etc. especially things associated with the Bengal Lancers.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote