Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th May 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Default A Contemporary Pira

Greetings everyone

For quite some months Paolo Abrera and myself have been working on this Contemporary Pira designand it was a great pleasure to receive the final pictures.

I see it as a sculpture which will be displayed in my living room, the curved arch placed like a bow and the blade on an acrylic pedestal.

Most of you who know me, know that I do prefer to interact with the smith instead of just buying a piece. Just a matter of temperament and the fact that I like to design my stuff, I guess

Just thought I would share this masterpiece by Paolo.
Thanks for your attention.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY PRETTY AND INTERESTING PIRA, IT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OLDER PIRA FORM AND MAY HAVE INFLUENCES FROM MALAYSIA OR INDONESIA. I LIKE TO THINK OF THIS FORM AS A HORNBILL BIRD THE BLADE BEING THE HEAD AND THE HANDLE SPIKE THE LONG TAIL FEATHERS. PERHAPS DIVING DOWN TO CATCH SOMETHING TO EAT.

THERE IS ALWAYS THE QUESTION DID THE OLDER PIRA FORM ORIGINATE IN THE PHILIPPINES OR WAS IT INFLUENCED FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE?

I LIKE THE NEW PIRA AND THE WORKMANSHIP IS VERY GOOD I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE BLADE. IT IS INTERESTING TO SEE ALL THE PLANNING AND DRAWINGS AS WELL AS THE WORK IN PROGRESS. WE USUALLY ONLY GET TO SEE A ANTIQUE WITH NO PROVENANCE AND ONLY WHAT IS WRITTEN IN BOOKS TO GO ON, SO THIS GIVES SOME UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW THE WORK WAS DONE.
THOUGH SOME NEWER TOOLS AND TECKNIQUES MAY NOW BE USED. THE ONLY THING MISSING IN THE NEW PIRA ARE THE OLD RITUALS AND MAGICICAL BELIEFS THAT WENT INTO THE MAKEING OF THE OLD TRIBAL ONES WHICH ARE LOST AND NO LONGER PRACTICED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
A VERY PRETTY AND INTERESTING PIRA, IT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OLDER PIRA FORM AND MAY HAVE INFLUENCES FROM MALAYSIA OR INDONESIA. I LIKE TO THINK OF THIS FORM AS A HORNBILL BIRD THE BLADE BEING THE HEAD AND THE HANDLE SPIKE THE LONG TAIL FEATHERS. PERHAPS DIVING DOWN TO CATCH SOMETHING TO EAT.
Thanks Vandoo. I must confess that in this case I took the entire concept in a basis of shape, trying not to get too involved in historical terms, knowing that if I did too much research, then my creativity would be tied up by acquired knowledge.

Quote:
THERE IS ALWAYS THE QUESTION DID THE OLDER PIRA FORM ORIGINATE IN THE PHILIPPINES OR WAS IT INFLUENCED FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE?
I'm sure someone can clarify this. So far what I know comes from the HOS exhibition.

Quote:
I LIKE THE NEW PIRA AND THE WORKMANSHIP IS VERY GOOD I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE BLADE. IT IS INTERESTING TO SEE ALL THE PLANNING AND DRAWINGS AS WELL AS THE WORK IN PROGRESS. WE USUALLY ONLY GET TO SEE A ANTIQUE WITH NO PROVENANCE AND ONLY WHAT IS WRITTEN IN BOOKS TO GO ON, SO THIS GIVES SOME UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW THE WORK WAS DONE.
True, specially since Paolo has kept his tools very close to the tribal smith, mainly the charcoal forge.

Actually me and my wife were in Manila last year for a weekend, and we were superbly treated by my friend Anton and his lovely wife and by Paolo and his lovely wife Suzy.

Quote:
THOUGH SOME NEWER TOOLS AND TECKNIQUES MAY NOW BE USED. THE ONLY THING MISSING IN THE NEW PIRA ARE THE OLD RITUALS AND MAGICICAL BELIEFS THAT WENT INTO THE MAKEING OF THE OLD TRIBAL ONES WHICH ARE LOST AND NO LONGER PRACTICED.
Yes, the elephant trunk was removed. I could not mime a ritual, specially not being native and having no knowledge. The most honest thing was to keep it as I viewed it, away from the initiates.
Old 19th May 2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I like it alot - very interesting.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Antonio Cejunior

Thank you Jose

Haven't heard from you yet.
Very best
Old 20th May 2007, 02:10 AM   #6
Andrew

Thumbs up

Wow. That's really fantastic, Antonio. My congratulations to you for the design and to Paolo for the execution.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Antonio Cejunior

Hi Andrew,

Most kind of you my friend
I have notified Paolo as he is the one to be applauded. It was such a wonderful partnership.

Meantime check your PM for something else.
Old 21st May 2007, 10:02 AM   #8
P.Abrera

Gentelmen,

I just wanted to thank you for your kind words.

It was most kind of Antonio to share our unusual project here as well, and it was certainly a pleasure to work on.

I shared a brief backgrounder on another forum, I hope you dont mind if I paste it here just to contextualize the spirit of the piece:

As Antonio mentioned, our approach and intent was primarily sculptural, and while Antonio's design drew inspiration from older ethnic forms, the idea was not to get overly bogged down in trying to make an academic study of the significance of the totemic forms and thier symbolisms, but to translate certain ethnic forms and treatments into interesting sculptural elements devoid of thier spiritual significance so as not to blindly parrot what we dont understand or are culturally removed from. Rather than setting out to make a historical replica, instead, we tried to stay connected to the cultural tradition by sticking to some old-school techniques while creating something new. It's mostly hand-work in an open fire, laminating steel with softer iron, and etching with "calamansi" juice (a local type of lime) but not feeling too tied to sticking to what would be considered historically correct. It's something new but nods in approval to what came before

I look forward to sharing more in the future. Thanks

Best,

P. Abrera
P.Abrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Antonio Cejunior

Default Pira in hand

Hi folks,

Sorry but I've been terribly busy.
Anyway the Pira has arrived and is absolutely awesome!!!

I had a quick picture taken to share with you all.

No pose and I'm not a muscle builder. Just made sure my both hands were not disturbing the Pira.

Wonderful contemporary masterpiece.
Old 20th June 2007, 04:39 AM   #10
Antonio Cejunior

Default Some more pics

Folks,

Here are some more pics of the Pira

beautiful shape and flow

Hand textured-pitted

The selective san mai layer

more here

Paolo Abrera is a most fantastic and intelligent smith working in the Philippines. Hope you folks enjoy
Old 20th June 2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Ferguson

Beautiful work.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
Beautiful work.

Steve
Thank you on behalf of Paolo Abrera
Old 17th August 2009, 05:10 AM   #13
KuKulzA28

in light of Piras...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 06:07 AM   #14
wilked aka Khun Deng

Beautiful piece my friend - quality exudes from it!

Makes me think that as we examine some of the older blades of varying styles that don't quite fit into regional standards - we should always remember that there are those of us now, as there must have been back then, that like our own touch on traditional designs.

Beautifully executed!

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 08:33 PM   #15
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Beautiful piece my friend - quality exudes from it!

Makes me think that as we examine some of the older blades of varying styles that don't quite fit into regional standards - we should always remember that there are those of us now, as there must have been back then, that like our own touch on traditional designs.

Beautifully executed!

Dan
Well spoken

I wonder what place modern-made blades have in the EAA forums, I note they are almost never discussed... I mean they aren't "true as antiques"... but they are today's weaponry (many of which are now used second to the firearm)... the kukri, the ginunting, the barong, the machete, etc. are all good examples....

and they are the antiques of tomorrow (or a lot of tomorrows)
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Well spoken

I wonder what place modern-made blades have in the EAA forums, I note they are almost never discussed... I mean they aren't "true as antiques"... but they are today's weaponry (many of which are now used second to the firearm)... the kukri, the ginunting, the barong, the machete, etc. are all good examples....

and they are the antiques of tomorrow (or a lot of tomorrows)
Discussion of new ethnographic weapons is absolutely appropriate here.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 02:20 AM   #17
Antonio Cejunior

Default Pira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Discussion of new ethnographic weapons is absolutely appropriate here.
Hi Andrew, Dan and everyone else

Thanks all for the kind words. Been a long long while.
One of the things I believe is in not being a dogmatic person. Almost about everything is subjective.
Migration inter-influences and hybridism have been there since the stone age.
So I guess it is nice to design an interpretation piece that could be a little bit of the past of tomorrow

Cheers everyone.