Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th August 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Freddy

Thumbs up small dha

I received this knife today. It's a small dha. The seller said it was a buddhist Meed Maw dha, a knife used by priests.

I don't know much about the subject, so I'm asking the more knowledgeable forum members for some help.

This knife has a total length of 22,5 cm. The handle measures 8 cm and is wound with rattan. The blade measures 12cm. It's about 4 mm thick near the handle and tapers towards the tip. One feature I haven't seen on a dha is that the blade has a false edge starting one third up the back of the knife.

True, it's a crudely made knife and I personally don't think it belonged to a priest. Perhaps just a small utility knife.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Freddy

Thumbs up some more pics

Old 4th August 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
katana

Hi Freddy,
so it was you that 'out bid' me ....I think it would be just called a Meed Morph or possibly, a meed eneb, a utility knife, however I think the blade shape is different.

The Meed Maw, I believe are slightly more decorated and are generally talismatic.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Freddy

Wink

Sorry, David. I just couldn't control myself. I had to go for it. It looked (and is) a nice knife.

And what about these two other pieces ?

The middle one is a more decorative piece with a bone handle and silver sheath. (total length : 22 cm)

The top piece is recent, but still a nice, functional knife. (length : 26,5 cm)

Old 11th August 2009, 04:56 AM   #5
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Meed Maw

Freddy meed maw (lit. doctor knife) or meed phra (lit. preist knife) are as katana stated talismanic and while they come in varying sizes from penknife to full blown dha what makes them meed phra is the blessing they receive from a Buddhist priest. The more venerated the Buddhist priest the more potent and expensive they are. Sometimes the priests would wrap a hair or a small paper prayer around the tang before the smith finished assembly.

Different temples and makers will have different designs on the blades generally near the hilt. While I haven't seen one with this particular blade profile or design it does show some age and the handle wrap and scabbard manufacture are of the old technique so I'd say you have a nice piece there.
BTW these can be QUITE expensive in Thailand.

As for the other two;
The top one I'm at a loss it almost looks like someone mixed styles when they added the new scabbard, but the blade itself with the upturned tip follows the profile of other meed phra I've seen and I've seen a similar handle (although using pewter instead the brass ferrules) but that scabbard doesn't seem to fit at all.

The middle knife is a newer example of a northern hill tribe knife (Mark has the actual name - it escapes me right now). Every male member of the hill tribes carries these. The blades are generally of less than stellar quality and the ivory on this one shows none of the yellowing I'd expect with age, but a very nice piece none the less.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Nathaniel

Good to hear from Khun Deng.

Here are my some more to add:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5162
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Nathaniel

Any more of the working type:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5163
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 05:40 AM   #8
wilked aka Khun Deng

Thanks Nathaniel, there was an old post where I discussed these previously and posted pictures from a vendor at Chattu Chak market who specializes in these (but the search feature has defeated me yet again). I picked up one from Lung Phra Derm along with the hardback book that details the amulets and priest knifes of that particular monk (and mine was in the book). I became an instant celebrity with the wife's relatives in country
Old 11th August 2009, 05:46 AM   #9
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default More pics

Some pics I saved.
Attached Images

Old 11th August 2009, 08:11 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Default HERE'S ANOTHER---VERY SMALL!!!

This one is VERY small as you can see. It is designed as an amulet but none the less a true knife. Also another pic of knives at Chatuchak Market Bangkok.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Mark

Oh, you guys are making me drool.

Am I correct that the defining feature of a meed maw or meed phra is the blessing, not the shape?

Dan, is the book you refer to the one pictured below? Any idea where I could get a copy? I have two promotional posters for it that picture a beautiful array of meed phra of all shapes and sizes, as well as other talismans.
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 07:11 PM   #12
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Memory

Memory is such a fragile thing. Yes Mark those are the posters i sent you and that is the book, specifically Lung Phra Derm, pictured on the poster.
I actually got the book from the same lady in the reflection of the pictures posted by khandjar1, but they had others at the Chatu Chak market. i doubt that it's anything you could pick up outside the country.

And yes you are correct that the defining feature is that is was blessed by a prominent monk, though most current ones (i'd guess last 50 years or so -it;s a generational thing I believe - makers and monks team up on these things) do follow a similar blade profile and scabbard shape, many, especially the smaller ones having a rectangular bone scabbard with 3 to 4 metal binding (larger ones generally wood but same profile).

Which is why I believe Freddy has a very old one - the scabbard fits the older profile (sword and dha) as well as the grip and while the blade doesn't have the same decoration and script it does have some, which is unusual for an older blade, all supporting what the dealer claims that it is a meed maw or meed phra (used interchangeably).

How are you my friend, the last few years have been a blur for me. Apologies for not staying in better contact with you and the rest of the Dha Guys.

Dan
Old 11th August 2009, 07:15 PM   #13
wilked aka Khun Deng

After reading the poster i must correct myself the priest's name is Lung Paw Derm ("Lung" being the honorific, equivalent to Uncle but more respectful)
Old 11th August 2009, 07:27 PM   #14
Freddy

Arrow

Interesting discussion and good information. Thanks, guys.

I thought that the miniature dha like the one Khanjar1 showed were mere tourist items. If I understand correctly, these are talismanic knives.

Will need to look for one, as I like small knives.
Old 12th August 2009, 05:33 PM   #15
Mark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
How are you my friend, the last few years have been a blur for me. Apologies for not staying in better contact with you and the rest of the Dha Guys.

Dan
Plugging along. The big change is a move from Virginia up to NJ a couple years ago now (changed jobs, and loving it). You've been missed, bro. Its good to see you posting again.

I've been very restrained in my dha acquisition the last few years, and have actually sold more than I've bought I think. I just picked up a beaut, though, which I will post once I get it in hand. It is a Thai daab/katana fusion, with a blade that has a profile very like a liewei dao, so its quite unique.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled thread ....
Old 12th August 2009, 05:38 PM   #16
Mark

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet about meed phra is the engraving on the scabbards. I have one which has very faint traced designs and writing, probably done with a pin or needle. A similar design is visible near the throat of the scabbard of Stuart's mini-meed. I assume that these are created by the monk during the blessing ceremony. I'd post photos, but they are almost impossible to see.
Old 13th August 2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Andrew

Dan!

Howsya?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 09:57 PM   #18
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I've been very restrained in my dha acquisition the last few years, and have actually sold more than I've bought I think. I just picked up a beaut, though, which I will post once I get it in hand. It is a Thai daab/katana fusion, with a blade that has a profile very like a liewei dao, so its quite unique.
"Restrained" being, obviously, a relative term. Post that puppy up, man!

What swords have you sold that I haven't been offered? I can think of at least two you have that should be safely stored in a climate-controlled office in Fort Lauderdale...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 12:52 PM   #19
wilked aka Khun Deng

Andrew,
Still trying to get your hands on some of Mark's collection i see While I'd love to stay and chat I'm in transit home and have only this one night in Bangkok and the neon across the street is calling my name.

It's time to empty my baht gun
Old 17th August 2009, 02:08 AM   #20
wilked aka Khun Deng

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Andrew,
Still trying to get your hands on some of Mark's collection i see While I'd love to stay and chat I'm in transit home and have only this one night in Bangkok and the neon across the street is calling my name.

It's time to empty my baht gun

BTW so none get the wrong impression "Baht" is Thai money. You get your reload at the ATM and then we generally (since it looks like play money to us) place our wallets on full auto and spray it around the economy

And yes I emptied my that night