Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th June 2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Bjorn

Default Jejeran Pulungan

Recently the name pulungan has popped up a lot. For orang Batak, it seems to be a family name. For Javanese it appears to have a very different meaning. As related to keris, the word pulungan refers to a specific type of jejeran, although what the exact characteristics of this type are is unclear to me. At the very least, it seems to share a lot of similarities with the buta or raksasa types of the pasisir.

Alan recently wrote (though not on this forum), that The figural pasisiran hilt is a well sculpted pulungan form, probably thus named as a reference to the falling star that indicates a person destined for a high position, most collectors would simply refer to this hilt style as "raksasa" or "wayang".

In 2014, Ganjawulung posted the below photo, stating it depicts both buja bajang and pulungan hilts. I'm ashamed to say, that I am unable to differentiate between the two.

In this thread, I'm hoping we can pool our current knowledge on how to identify this jejeran, the meaning of the name pulungan, and its associated symbolism.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=pulungan
Attached Images

Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote