Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 18th February 2016, 10:43 AM   #1
corrado26

Default Some Queen-Anne pistols

I dare to show here some fotos of some English Queen-Anne-pistols that have been part of a wonderful Exhibition "Very British" in the Army Museum of Rastatt Castle in Germany during the year 2015. In case there should be an interest to see more but mediocre pictures of this Exhibition with lots of British flintlock and percussion pistols I am prepared to show them here.
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Fernando K

Hello

An interesting aspect is the threaded body, in the box-lock models with two, three, four and more barrel is impossible (except for modern methods) while tapping the stumps, and then resorted to a threaded sleeve which is He forced on an ad-hoc perforqacion.

Interesting also is a tool to screw-unscrew the barrel, open, which is in the last part.

Sorry for the translator.

Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Pukka Bundook

Very nice to see, Corrado.
Thank you for showing them.
The Queen Anne style is on of my favourites, and I see some very good makers in the photos!
These are all beautiful work.
Thank you again.

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Berkley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
In case there should be an interest to see more but mediocre pictures of this Exhibition with lots of British flintlock and percussion pistols I am prepared to show them here.
corrado26
I would be very interested to see more. Thank you for posting.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 04:39 PM   #5
corrado26

The Queen-Annes above are from my collection. A part of it is shown in the following fotos, that are by far not as good as the fotos above. I hope you are able to recognize some details...........
corrado26
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:39 PM   #6
corrado26

next bundle
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
corrado26

on it goes
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:42 PM   #8
corrado26

next part
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:46 PM   #9
corrado26

more pistols
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:47 PM   #10
corrado26

last fotos
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2016, 04:49 PM   #11
corrado26

final fotos
Attached Images

Old 1st March 2016, 11:55 AM   #12
corrado26

more than 280 viewers and no single comment? Very strange indeed.
corrado26
Old 1st March 2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Fernando K

Corrado 26

I've been stunned, though some examples have already seen in books. But the reunion of many copies together, is a luxury. The collection comes from England, not only copies, but by the support, attachments, surely

Sorry for the translator

Affectionately. Fernando K
Old 1st March 2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually these pistols are a fascinating topic, and for me (and probably Mark Eley of course) that is powerfully driven by their distinction in pirate use during the 'golden age' as well in the many highly romanticized themes of the 18th century.

I think the reason that so little response has resulted may be that there are no specific queries or attentions to features or character of a particular example. The wonderful photos of all these amazing examples are of course breathtaking , but when presented in a long string of tantalizing but otherwise unidentified photos, other than awe, there is little that one can say.

Perhaps attention to the case of a multibarreled example or with unusual features (such as as a swivel bayonet?) presented singly could be one topic. Such a feature might have been considered useful in the case of misfire and serve as secondary defense ?
Or with multibarrels, obviously the same concept, a remedy for the dreaded misfire.
The famed 'Blackbeard' is believed (through well known art work) to have worn a good number of these on crossbelts probably for this very reason (in the days before the trusty six shooter).

Then there might be attention to the appellation 'Queen Anne', which of course is thought to be for her reign during the 'golden age of piracy' in the early 18th century. But why was the term still used long after her death c 1715 (cannot recall exact year) ??? Later examples became known as the 'box lock'. These seem to have screw off barrels to load, when did these end and when did the 'turn off' barrels become superceded by other?

So I would say for readers out there.....pick an example.....post it open for specific observation and comments......and FIRE AT WILL !

These are amazing pistols!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 06:26 PM   #15
corrado26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
The collection comes from England, not only copies, but by the support, attachments, surely
No, the whole collection is the property of me and a friend of mine. I made a small catalogue that shows most of the pistols of the Exhibition.

As you can see from the Queen Annes they are all made during the reign of Queen Anne between 1701 and 1714, so they are real Quen-Anne pistols. Why this design has been in use far later and up to today might have to do with the lack of knowledge of its history. Especially in France all boxlock pistols are today called "Queen Annes".
corrado26
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2016, 11:43 AM   #16
Fernando K

Hello Corrado

You could say that is the artifact of post No. 9, second photograph? Thank you

Fernando KI
Old 2nd March 2016, 02:34 PM   #17
corrado26

I am very sorry but I cannot understand your question. Post #9 foto #2 shows two purses, a Boxlock pistol and the advice of a German travel writer to visitors of England to carry always two purses: The important one directly at the body and another smaller one for the highwayman.
corrado26
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:43 PM   #18
Fernando K

Hello, Corrado
In my humble opinion, this is not a gun, but any appliance with a purpose not decipher. My question related to this. Thank you
Fernando K
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:16 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hello, Corrado
In my humble opinion, this is not a gun, but any appliance with a purpose not decipher. My question related to this. Thank you
Fernando K
While trying to navigate through the barrage of photos, I think that by the image indicated, the item referred to looks like a sort of 'lighter' ...as in a tinder lighter or the sort?

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 2nd March 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:44 PM   #20
Fernando K

Hi all

I think here there has been confusion in both responses corrado as Mc. Dougall. The photo to which I refer is the second post number 9, no to the third. I continue with the incognira

Fernando K
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:45 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I guess this is what I mean by a long line of photos all lumped together with no point of reference for discussion or questions. I still have no idea what item is being referenced. An absolutely outstanding collection! and it would be great to learn more from the items.
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:57 PM   #22
Fernando K

Hi there

I thought that my posy was sufficiently clear

Fernando K
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:00 AM   #23
Fernando K

Pick
Attached Images

Old 3rd March 2016, 02:16 AM   #24
M ELEY

Yes, that is the one Jim pointed out to be a tinder lighter. I've seen these types to be used with linstocks and, I'm assuming, to ignite gaslight posts?

What a spectacular selection of Queen Anne 'type (!)' pistols. The style of these were so appreciated that the form continued well past the days of Queen Anne. I would also point out that they were popular with sea captains as well. Multi-barreled guns were great for discouraging mutinies and the small pocket variety were carried in the captain's 'great pockets' while in port to equally discourage street robbers (sea men often came into port after being paid to spend their wealth. Likewise, thieves in the alleys and cheats at the game tables were always waiting!).
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 04:55 AM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Yes, that is the one Jim pointed out to be a tinder lighter. I've seen these types to be used with linstocks and, I'm assuming, to ignite gaslight posts?

What a spectacular selection of Queen Anne 'type (!)' pistols. The style of these were so appreciated that the form continued well past the days of Queen Anne. I would also point out that they were popular with sea captains as well. Multi-barreled guns were great for discouraging mutinies and the small pocket variety were carried in the captain's 'great pockets' while in port to equally discourage street robbers (sea men often came into port after being paid to spend their wealth. Likewise, thieves in the alleys and cheats at the game tables were always waiting!).

Excellent perspective and context Mark!!!! Thank you.
These words really put dimension in seeing the fantastic intrigue associated with these pistols, and amazing to see these examples.

Fernando K, sorry about the confusion, my misunderstanding and your words are clear.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:31 AM   #26
corrado26

Ok, now I understood but you will agree that it is impossible to post explanations to every single foto. If there are more questions I' am prepared to post an apppriate answer.

The foto 2 in post#9 shows a British powdertester, no tinderlighter, accessories and some British bulletmolds, just things that have been necessary for loading and shooting with that kind of pistols.
corrado26
Old 3rd March 2016, 05:10 PM   #27
NeilUK

What a fabulous collection! I have a few Queen Anne pistols myself, both side-lock and box-lock, but nothing like this. I would have commented before but I have been away and only just now seen this thread. I would love to see the exhibition - how about bringing it over to Scotland?
Congratulations, Corrado.
Neil
NeilUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:38 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Ok, now I understood but you will agree that it is impossible to post explanations to every single foto. If there are more questions I' am prepared to post an apppriate answer.

The foto 2 in post#9 shows a British powdertester, no tinderlighter, accessories and some British bulletmolds, just things that have been necessary for loading and shooting with that kind of pistols.
corrado26
Well understood Corrado!!! That is a LOT of pictures and I cannot resist thanking you again for sharing such great examples here.

Thank you for pointing out this is a powder tester, which of course makes much more sense given the context here. Its great to see all these accessories along with these weapons.
Old 4th March 2016, 01:59 PM   #29
corrado26

Just coming back to the early Queen-Anne pistols, produced around the years 1701 and 1714and how one can recognize them: First there are the names of the gunsmiths that have been working in those years. Second there is a specific detail, that is almost a safe reference to an early production. This is the trigger guard which is made with a fore-end and a backstrap. Later pistols used to have a far smaller trigger guard without fore end and backstrap - see the fotos.
The first pistol is made by George HALFHIDE, London ca. 1695-1710
The second pistol is made by James BARBAR, LOndon 1740-1780
The third pistol is made by David Wynn, London, 1680-1725. It is a rare item because it has a ramrod and its cannot be unscrewed. They called it at that time "night pistol" as it was loaded not with a ball but with buckshot, by night a better help against gangsters

corrado26
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2016, 02:42 PM   #30
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
... It is a rare item because it has a ramrod and its cannot be unscrewed. They called it at that time "night pistol" as it was loaded not with a ball but with buckshot, by night a better help against gangsters ...
So:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=queen+anne
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote