Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Early 20th Century Kaskara

I picked this up from Gav this week. Seems to be a nice early to mid 20th century example.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very very nice Lew!!!! These markings on the blade are excellent, and I'd like to get some input on the crescent motif.....any takers out there!!!???
The kaskara remains an extremely traditional weapon culturally throughout the Sudan, and the modern date of many of these in no way diminishes thier intrinsic ethnographic standing.

I look forward to discussing the motif, and its great to get some focus on these kaskara going....it seems we've gotten a few threads almost off the ground with the interesting examples Stephen has posted, but they seem to have fallen short of drawing sufficient interest. Surprising considering the interesting nature of the examples.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice photos Lew

Nice photos Lew, the extra effort you put in to cleaning and waxing it certainly shows. It has gone from a nice complete original example to a very nice example.

As Jim has noted there is a lot of Symbolism present on these swords and particuarly on this example. This one is worthy of further discussion and I am sure I have seen a similar one within these pages but I think the script in the cartouche was perhaps different...maybe a translator can help...this may offer more direction to times of manufacture.

I find it interesting as seen in video footage within these pages that even today these swords are in use despite the AK47 being the primary weapon...this makes me ask, are these heirlooms or is there still an industury today or at what point, due to economy issues did the industry stop...if indeed it has.

Thanks again Lew,

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Found some of my notes, and apparantly this motif has to do with astronomical events, which seems to correspond with other markings that are focused on a comet event, as yet more details are unclear. The use of these crescents in motif is described by Graham Reed in his article on Darfur kaskaras.
The discoid pommel on this would have been leather covered, and the 20th century period is confirmed by blades with this type motif seen by the author in travels to Darfur sometime before 1987. These blades are typically heirlooms and refurbished from generation to generation, so just how far back they go of course may vary, but certainly into the earliest years of the 20th century onward.

The inscribed panel with crescents is a representation of the wooden board carrying such religious inscriptions that is termed a 'lohr'. Charles S. has posted one of these which also has a snake (assala=python) inscribed along with the lohr (November, 2008). I believe the inscription on that blade included the date 1796 (AH?) .

I have previously mentioned that in Darfur, the tribal chiefs and influential figures there still have kaskaras such as these that are proudly worn on certain occasions. This was told to me by a young Fur tribesman I spoke with a number of years ago.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 17th May 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
stephen wood

...a very nice one, thanks for posting it.

Here are some similar ones - notice the particular shape and finish of the scabbard - quite angular.
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 02:59 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for posting these Stephen.