Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 4th February 2023, 12:38 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default My first keris (circa 1992)

This is the first keris that I owned. I acquired it in Jakarta in the early 1990s. The blade seemed "old" and someone had thought enough of it to give it a nice, perfectly fitting sheath wrapped in brass with some lightly engraved designs. It was also beautifully perfumed. It spoke to me at the time. The blade is slim, very thin, and flexible. To my untrained eye it seems that it has been etched heavily over its life, and a small section of one edge has broken away (see pictures attached). I'd like to think it has some significant age. It still talks to me like an old friend, and I think it's rather beautiful despite it being a bit of an ugly duckling.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2023, 05:16 PM   #2
kai

Hello Ian,

It does look like an old survivor, indeed.

Decent age supported by the old-style tikel alis IMHO.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 10:54 AM   #3
rasdan

Hi Ian,

I think there is a possibility that this keris used to be a straight Tuban keris, but luks are probably added later by grinding or reshaping the blade. Perhaps Alan can comment further on this for us to be sure.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 08:13 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan View Post
Hi Ian,

I think there is a possibility that this keris used to be a straight Tuban keris, but luks are probably added later by grinding or reshaping the blade. Perhaps Alan can comment further on this for us to be sure.
I can't say i see evidence this blade was once straight. The pamor seems to bend along gently with the curves of the blade.
I do wonder is the gonjo might be a replacement (not recently mind you, but some time ago). It does not seem to show the same wear, colour or grain structure as the rest of this keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 12:44 AM   #5
rasdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can't say i see evidence this blade was once straight. The pamor seems to bend along gently with the curves of the blade.
Yes, I understand about the pamor, I just get a feeling it was modified. Maybe I am wrong. We need to ask Alan if it is possible to modify a straight blade with that results.
Old 6th February 2023, 01:27 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

I'll consider myself asked Rasdan, but I'd like to stay out of this discussion, to my mind this keris is a revised remnant, and I really cannot make any relevant comments.

Please accept my apologies.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 06:11 AM   #7
rasdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
I'll consider myself asked Rasdan, but I'd like to stay out of this discussion, to my mind this keris is a revised remnant, and I really cannot make any relevant comments.

Understood Alan. Thank you for your kind reply.
Old 6th February 2023, 06:10 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post

Alan,

Thank you for your short but carefully chosen words. A "revised remnant" suggests to me that you think this one may be an assemblage of unrelated parts or has been modified in some way. You don't need to amplify. Neither bother me in this case. I have a sentimental attachment to it. I bought it in the company of a dear friend who tragically died a few months later from a brain hemorrhage. She persuaded me that I should have at least one keris in my life. It was an inexpensive purchase as I recall, around $40 if I remember correctly.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2023, 07:06 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Understood perfectly Ian, I also have a few keris to which I have a strong emotional attachment, but if evaluated on any other basis than emotion, are best left in peace.

I said I would not comment, but I will clarify;- I do not want to comment on the blade, but the entire package is OK, the dress items are typical Jogja.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote