Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2005, 04:05 AM   #1
mavi1970

Default help to identify newly aquired old yataghan

hi, thanks for all your help in previous posts, but this is a new old yataghan i have aquired recently. its about 28 inches in length, with a circle etched in the middle of the blade with almost a davids cross, this design continues on the leather covered scabbard. the designs are similair but not exactly the same. there is also other designs etched into the other side but of corrosion right over them it is hard to read or make out the arabic script but it is really beautifull. there is a peice of the brass/silver cover on the area where the hilt attaches to the blade, and under it is a dark almost tar like or rock hard mollasses type substance. the handle is of horn or some sort of bone, which has a worm hole in it on one edge. this sword is in need of repair but, i think i will leave it as such, any help in identifying this sword, and age would be appreciated.
Attached Images

mavi1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 04:12 AM   #2
mavi1970

Default more photos

more photos of the sword, will have more again
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2005, 04:16 AM   #3
mavi1970

Default more photos again

hi i have attached more again, ask if not legible
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2005, 04:47 AM   #4
tom hyle

doesn't look poorly off in the pictures. That molasses is pitch; boiled down tree resin likely mixed with other things.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Radu Transylvanicus

This is a sword that myself I would consider restoring (as in professional cleaning) since it is well preserved but covered in murky oxides and residue and I have a feeling that I wouldnt miss that patina, which isnt such a ,,charming" one (in my own acception...). The weapon is awesome and the materials used are good and well preserved.
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
mavi1970

thanks for your quick comments. what is the consenses on age and origin? would it be balkan ottoman or more east ottoman? due to the chase work? and the age, mid 19th or earlier?
Old 29th April 2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow Tough Question

These swords are often quite controversial as to their exact origin . In the old forum we went round and round about the origin of my example .
I think it would be most helpful to see the entire sword several views including the spine , and the entire scabbard both front and back including the method of fastening the leather seam on the back .
I think the absence of jewels and coral could be meaningful as to origin .
The scabbard (if original) may also help to date the piece .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 07:50 PM   #8
mavi1970

Default more pictures

hi here a few more pictures, i would have to take more if needed, what kind of sword do you have? how old is it and how does it compare? what does the coral and stones signify in terms of origin and date?
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2005, 07:55 PM   #9
mavi1970

Default scabbard

the wood inside the scabbard looks old and not a new peice or new peice distrissed to look old, its really worn down. also the leather is stitched together with a steel wire if sorts, which has actually held it together if it is as you say 100%old and original, the brass end peice also has little indentations around the area that covers the stitched leather center, as to almost be like little nails to hold it in place. the top end of it has a leather peice which has tiny sew marks along the bottom and top and along the seam. the design is one that interests me because it almost matches the design on the blade of a circle with a davids star of sorts.
Old 29th April 2005, 09:20 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile My Yat.

For comparison ; if I recall correctly we narrowed this down to either Greek or Caucasus , early 19th c. :
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2005, 09:54 PM   #11
mavi1970

Default nice

the blade is in great shape, have you restored it or cleaned it? the design is very similair to one of mine. one question, do you use mineral oil to protect the blades , any hints?
Old 29th April 2005, 10:00 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Mavi , I'm sure the blade has had a polish , but that was before I acquired it . Unfortunately the cartouche was either etched or polished off ; this could be a problem for you if you decide to have the blade polished .

For sword protection from hilt to blade to scabbard :
In Rennaisance Wax we trust !

http://www.restorationproduct.com/