Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2005, 12:48 AM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Red face Timonium Seminar Update and Recent Forum Outage

Recent Forum Outage (19 - 20 Jan 2005):

The new forums have proven most popular as is reflected by the fact that bandwidth consumption for the site in December was 250% of the previous record. Of course having many of the photos on the server has contributed to this, but this was not the problem as we have plenty of headroom there.

On the other hand, the MySQL database has grown far more rapidly than anticipated and in one and a half months of operation was larger than all of the previous forums combined. This was a bit of a surprise. For whatever reason, the warning e-mail which should have announced that 80% of quota was reached was never received. Early in the morning on 19 January, the database went just over the limit and was automatically locked by ValueWeb, our web hosting company. No e-mail at that point either, even though they had shut down the forums.

I discovered the situation at about 11 am that morning, figured out what had happened and called ValueWeb. For a few dollars more they promised to raise the quota, thereby reopening the forums, within 2 hours. It took 25 hours and two extra calls to get back in service...

My apologies to all.

Timonium Seminar Update Friday & Saturday March 18 - 19, 2005:

I regret to advise that Dr. David Nicolle has had to back out of his lecture owing to a conflicting important research opportunity in the Middle East.

If there is a forum member (or lurker) interested in giving a presentation related to European Medieval Arms and Armour of a duration of 15 to 30 minutes, please send me an e-mail or private message. Otherwise, participants risk being exposed to me for 60 rather than 30 minutes.

The seminar is again being held at the Holiday Inn Select Baltimore North, 2004 Greenspring Drive; Timonium, Maryland 21093-4114. The programs will begin at 6 pm each evening on Friday March 18 & Saturday March 19, 2005.

The complete schedule and registration details should be posted by the close of this weekend.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote