Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
PClemente

Default Early Georgian Gorget

Hi All,
Just wanted to share a piece I recently was lucky enough to acquire.
It is a British gorget circa 1750 - 1780, probably French & Indian War period.
I have been after an early pattern gorget for some time, and while there are plenty of 1796 pattern Napoleonic Period gorgets out there, trying to find a good example dating to the F&I and Revolutionary War periods is getting harder and harder. I know some try to pass off the later pattern as Rev War period, but seeing the earlier and later patterns side by side really shows the big differences (literally!). It was also cool to have provenance in the form of a receipt by a well-known English dealer from 1976 when the same gorget went for only £300!
Now I know that £300 went alot further 30 years ago, but I still wish I had been collecting back then when the stuff was cheaper, dealers more honest and there were still many treasures to be found in local auctions and antique fairs. Now I just have to convince the wife tat the gorget is a worthwhile investment (though I can't see eer selling it).
Best,
Paul
Attached Images

PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice examples.

What were the purpose of gorgets?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Paul, these are exceptional examples of these intriquing vestiges of armour and distinctive elements of military regalia. I recall last year I think it was, and the really fascinating leather example of one of these gorgets you had (I hope you still do). These are as far as I know, items that are relatively rare in militaria and not a great deal of data overall on them.
It seems there was a guy writing a book on them a number of years ago but never heard if it was completed.

Jose, that is truly a well placed question as obviously these seem completely inadequate for any useful protection defensively, and clearly they had no practical application. Actually these are as noted, vestiges of armor from centuries ago which were retained as honorary emblems of rank, and worn as such by officers in many European armies. These remained in use as late as WWII in some military, particularly German.

In the case of the leather example I mentioned I believe we determined it may have been used by either Rogers Rangers or one of such auxiliary units during the Revolutionary War. It is also worthy of note that in many cases these were awarded to American Indian allied chiefs, where these were considered not only a sign of rank but a badge of honor. It is interesting that similarly worn crescent type items were worn by them actually much further back in thier history, another intriguing parallel it seems in use of symbolism in remarkably disconnected (in early times) cultures.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 01:30 AM   #4
PClemente

Hi Jim,
Thanks!
I agree with your insights.
Gorgets always intrigued me, particularly the earlier examples dating from the French & Indian War & Revolution. Unfortunately they are coming very hard to find and as a result increasingly valuable. As a result there are more "replicas" out there being passed on as authentic, as well as unscrupulous or ignorant dealers who try to pass on later Napoleonic examples as Rev War gorgets(a decent Rev War example can go for 5-8 times more $). Big differences I have noticed is that the earlier gorgets are larger than the Napoleonic pieces, and often have the English coat of arms as opposed to the royal cypher. Fortunately I have a good friend who has been collecting Rev War period militaria for longer than I have been alive and he has educated me on what to look for in authentic pieces. Alot of luck is involved, but when you know what to look for there can still be good deals out there as long as you are patient (it took me a good 2-3 years to find the early gorget).Thanks to my friend and fellow collectors like you in this forum I continually am learning about arms & armour and that's the best tool you can have when collecting.
Cheers,
Paul
PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you Jim. That was the background to my question. Among other Native American tribes, Cherokee chiefs were given these gorgets from the British, but I didn't understand the meaning or purpose behind them.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote