Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 22nd October 2017, 04:40 AM   #1
Helleri

Default Seen at flea market

Guy wanted $50 for it. I didn't know what it was (beyond it being a sabre), the handle had damage/missing pieces, and it had no scabbard. So I passed. He did ask for me to make him an offer. But I don't think he would have gone for $10 And I'm not sure I'd have wanted it for even that little.

It did feel solidly constructed out of quality materials. The edge was unsharpened (had an edge grind but didn't appear to have ever been actually taken to combat ready). Sorry the pics aren't that great and that there aren't more of them. It was a really busy day. The gold colored emblem featured laurels or wheat (I forget exactly which) and read "PROOF".

Just going to link it because I've tried everything I know to scale how the the images display here and can't seem to.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 22nd October 2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: pictures upload.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 06:03 AM   #2
M ELEY

Ahhh! What a tease! No pics!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:02 AM   #3
RobertGuy

It'a British 1827 pattern Rifles Officer Sword. The blade type indicates it was made after 1845. Can't tell the maker from the pictures. Any close up pictures of the blade etchings and proof slug might help. The maker or retailer was normally etched into the ricasso on the opposite side to the brass proof slug.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:50 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Elements will do it
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
It'a British 1827 pattern Rifles Officer Sword. The blade type indicates it was made after 1845. Can't tell the maker from the pictures. Any close up pictures of the blade etchings and proof slug might help. The maker or retailer was normally etched into the ricasso on the opposite side to the brass proof slug.
It had a thick even layer of oxidization on it in the area of the ricasso. Any marks beyond the slug would have taken some cream of tartar and a good deal of soft scrubbing to get down to. Did a mod fix my pics? If so thanks.

Also for future reference is it worth picking up things in this condition? Say for parts? Like if I were to have bought it for $30 or $40 could I have pieced it out for more than that?
Old 22nd October 2017, 07:17 PM   #6
kronckew

a little tlc and elbow grease and that's a £100 ($150) sword. the surface rust will come off, and the underlying metal, unless badly pitted, which i don't see in the photo) seems sound. the grip could be patched, or left as is for the purists. i'd pay $20-30 for it any day...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 01:59 AM   #7
Helleri

Sounds like a bit more work for $20-$30 (which I don't even know if the guy would take) than I want to put in for the return given all the other projects I have going atm. And not something I'm really into collecting myself either. Thanks for the information though.
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:37 AM   #8
theswordcollector

Default 1827 PAT RIFLE OFFICER'S SWORD POST OFFICE

Looks like a postal horn and crown from the reverse side of the guard even though we don't have a photo of the front. Could it be a WW1 BRITISH ARMY 1827 PAT RIFLE OFFICER'S SWORD POST OFFICE RIFLES 1914 - 1918?
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:23 AM   #9
kronckew

other side would have looked similar to this rifle officer's sword:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote