Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Justin

Default Non Moro ,Mandaya? sword

I won this little guy on ebay recently Im sure it didnt go un noticed by at least a few forumites.I bought it in the hopes that it was a Mandaya sword but if it is its definately a little unusual,very small about 20in oa and it has a long sharpened 'false' edge.
Attached Images

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I like that.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 08:52 PM   #3
slow

Based on my very limited knowledge, I could hazard a guess and call it a ginunting. The angle of the blade in relation to the handle and the "false edge" would hint in this direction. The handle seems a bit unusual for a ginunting, (usually there are finger grooves) but my experience is only with more recent pieces. A very nice looking weapon, nevertheless. Congratulations on the purchase.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 05:26 AM   #4
zelbone

This one is odd...although I really doubt that it is Mandaya. The ferrule looks Visayan, but the pommel is odd. Bangkung, binangon, binakoko? Ginunting would be appropriate as well. Post better pics when you get it.

BTW, Justin, no hard feelings !
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Justin

Thanks ,Zel

Ill try to get better pics up within a day or two.
Old 26th October 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Bill

Doubt the sword is from the Philippines. The hilt has a Sumatra influence. The ferrule is simular to some Nias work, but a little crude. The blade form is pretty common. It could really come from many places in Indonesia, but I would look closer to Sumatra, then any where else.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Mark

I have an almost identical one that I have been trying to identify for years. It was my first ethnographic sword purchase, in fact, and the subject of my first-ever post on the EEWRS.

I don't have pictures, but I'll take some and post.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Justin

Sorry I havent posted in awhile,Im having car and computer problems so its been a little busy around here.

Bill:

I didnt really think about Indonesia but its an interesting theory,the horse hoof hilt does look very Sumatran to me.

Mark:Id love to see pics of your sword, maybe it will help narrow down the posible origins of these swords.
Old 11th December 2005, 11:33 PM   #9
Justin

Sorry for the really long delay,here are a few more pics,hopefully there will be something in them to help provide a more definate id.
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unusual combination

Justin:

I'd say this is somewhat of a hybrid of styles. The blade looks Bagobo, and the wood handle resembles some of the handles on Bagobo/T'boli work knives.

But the scabbard looks Visayan -- sort of -- and the small ferrule could also be a Visayan influence.

Probably central of northern Mindanao would be my guess.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 01:48 PM   #11
Justin

Thanks,Ian. Now that you mention it ,I think I know the knives you're talking about and it does have some resemblence.

The hilt/pommel seems to be what is throwing everything off I wonder if this could be a Bagobo or other PI blade thats been remounted?
Old 13th December 2005, 03:23 PM   #12
zelbone

Talking

Interesting sword, Justin.

Honestly, I really can't give you a definate answer on this one. Bill, may be correct that it is Sumatran. However, I tend to agree with Ian that this could be a hybrid sword from Mindanao. I do have a bangkung with a similar blade that is sharpened on the back side at the the tip, but that blade form is found in almost all of the Mindanao lumad swords...Bagobo, T'boli, B'laan, etc. Of course that form is also found in the Visayas and Luzon as well as seen in the binangon, ginunting, and binakoko. The scabbard does look very "Visayan" in flavor as well as the ferrule.

One thing also to remember that there is quite a large number of ethnic Visayans in Mindanao. In fact they may outnumber the Moros and the Lumad now. It wouldn't surprise me that this could be a localized hybrid.

I'd also be interested in hearing what others would say especially with those more familiar with Sumatran weapons as Bill suggests. In any case, interesting sword you got there, Justin.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote