Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th December 2017, 06:57 AM   #1
shayde78

Default Luzon knife?

Can't quite call this one a dagger as it has a partial false edge on the back. It does seem to be consistent with examples from Luzon region of Philippines. It is just under 12" long. Very similar in feel to a SF commando dagger.

My main question (if, in fact, my above assertions are at all accurate), is if anyone can conjecture regarding the word "JALISE" and arrow shape inscribed on the ricasso. Any speculation is welcome.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 08:05 AM   #2
carlos

Hello
My first impression is that this dagger is from Mexico, and Jalise could be Jalisco.
Thanks
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Shayde78,

I agree with Carlos that it isn't from Luzon but other as Carlos I can't say from where. Who has sharpened the edge so badly?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 08:15 PM   #4
shayde78

Interesting about the possible Mexican origin. I had thought the buffalo horn handle suggested somewhere in Asia/Pacific region.

Please know, I received the blade in this condition. I would never try to sharpen with a rotary tool, and certainly never deface any blade in this manner.
Old 5th December 2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Rich

Google "antique Mexican dagger" and then go to "images". There are several shown with similar handles and guards. Take many of the pics there with a grain of salt and they are obviously not Mexican.

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayde78
Please know, I received the blade in this condition. I would never try to sharpen with a rotary tool, and certainly never deface any blade in this manner.
I don't want to offend you, but I know that it is a lot of work to get something like this out from a blade!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 12:20 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree in that this does not look Filipino to me but Mexican, based on the blade profile, the size of the quillions, and the profile of the hilt.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 01:39 AM   #8
shayde78

I 100% agree the blade profile suggests N. American influence (Mexico, SW United States, or thereabouts).

However, am I wrong that the buffalo horn hilt , its shape, and proportions is reminiscent of Philippine influence, as shown in the following threads:

thread 1
thread 2
thread 3
thread 4
and with a lot of similar examples, thread 5

I fully concede that some similar knife themes would have popped up in different regions of Spanish colonial influence. Again, I feel the horn hilt leans away from a N. American origin, but perhaps an imported blade found its way onto a handle of indigenous material. I'm OK with either conclusion, but I'll have to claim another bookcase if I now have begun a collection of Mexican edged items. My wife will be much more pleased if this could stay with my Asian items
Old 8th December 2017, 01:40 AM   #9
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I don't want to offend you, but I know that it is a lot of work to get something like this out from a blade!
Oh, and no offense taken, Sajen! I responded the way I did so that anyone stumbling upon this thread that had thoughts of doing something similar would understand with full clarity that they should restrain themselves.