Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2017, 09:31 AM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Terengganu Keris with a Nicely Carved Sarong (Sheath)

Here is a keris from Terengganu, Malaysia (purchased in Kuala Lumpur).

Located at the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the state is known for its heritage crafts such as wood carving, brassware and ironware. While they keep the tradition of keris making alive by producing high quality blades, the present example is meant for the tourist market. Aside from the low quality blade, the hilt and sheath are of non-traditional design.

The 9 luk blade is 46 cm long. The nicely carved hilt and sheath are made of meranti wood. The pendokok (hilt cup) is cast from brass. It's a nice souvenir but of a different quality from the traditional Keris Melayu.
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 25th March 2017 at 10:58 AM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 04:40 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. de Luzon
Aside from the low quality blade, the hilt and sheath are of non-traditional design.
It's a nice souvenir but of a different quality from the traditional Keris Melayu.
Yes, not a particularly good representation of a Terengganu keris. Are you even sure it was actually produced in that area?
What would you like to discuss about this keris since as it is certainly not what any of our members would seek to collect as a representative example from that region?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 08:16 PM   #3
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. de Luzon
Here is a keris from Terengganu, Malaysia (purchased in Kuala Lumpur).

Located at the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, the state is known for its heritage crafts such as wood carving, brassware and ironware. While they keep the tradition of keris making alive by producing high quality blades, the present example is meant for the tourist market. Aside from the low quality blade, the hilt and sheath are of non-traditional design.

The 9 luk blade is 46 cm long. The nicely carved hilt and sheath are made of meranti wood. The pendokok (hilt cup) is cast from brass. It's a nice souvenir but of a different quality from the traditional Keris Melayu.
Thanks for showing - I agree with your evaluation. This is a pretty fine example for those who are traveling for pleasure though. I also have seen way poorer examples being utilized for ceremonies...

It is interesting that traditional carving motifs have been used in non-traditional manner with the scabbard (and hilt).

There obviously are some shortcuts with material, carving and finishing to cater for another market. I wonder how prices compare between this kind of keris and a real keris Melayu (of lower end quality)?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 09:51 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I also have seen way poorer examples being utilized for ceremonies...
I would agree that sometimes a keris such as this might find service for other than souvenir purposes. People use what they can afford and it would not be too far a stretch to image a keris such as this serving a dress purpose at an affair such as a wedding.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 10:53 AM   #5
F. de Luzon

Hello David and Kai,

Actually, I took the word of the seller that it came from Terengganu. He told me that it was not a good blade but he explained that the carving on the hilt and sheath was unusual. He also admitted that it is not an antique but recommended it as a good souvenir.

In light of Kai's comment, I just remembered when I asked the seller what the kerises he was selling were for, his first reply was "weddings" then "souvenir." So you are right in your last comment, David. This particular object is more than a souvenir item.

What makes this beautiful is the carving on the hilt and sheath. Since this keris serves "a dress purpose" and there is no need to unsheathe the blade, the blade attached is ordinary. This is the case with ceremonial Moro kris with very fancy hilts and scabbards but with ordinary blades. I hope some of our Malaysian co-members can verify if this observation is correct for if so, it shows a shared practice among Moros and Malaysians.

I'm just sharing an example of a Malaysian keris (purportedly from Terengganu) with an interesting hilt and sheath. It is a cultural object that serves as a remembrance of a very special occasion among Malay families. This particular keris may not be meant for some keris collectors but its presence on this forum can educate budding keris collectors, scholars and enthusiasts in distinguishing Malaysian keris blade quality. I think that deepening the understanding of weapons as cultural objects and educating those who want to learn are important roles this ethnographic forum serves. This keris is also a cultural item showing the fusion of two traditional Malaysian handicrafts in one object. Proof that Malaysians are continuing to define their distinct keris tradition.

Kind regards,

F. de Luzon

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 27th March 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 27th March 2017, 11:05 AM   #6
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
There obviously are some shortcuts with material, carving and finishing to cater for another market. I wonder how prices compare between this kind of keris and a real keris Melayu (of lower end quality)?
Kai,

The price of the keris above was half of the price of the keris below. :-)

F. de Luzon
Attached Images