Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Another Knife from Central Asia: Nice Older Bao An (Bonan) Knife

I had always thought this to be Tibetan until reading a thread on here some time ago (see here).

I found it interesting to see the Bao An live on the northeast quadrant of the Tibetan Plateau, and thus likely share (at least) some cultural characterstics with other Sino-Tibetan people. These knives are one such example IMO.

Anyway, this was another trade acquisition from several years ago, and it was stored away with some other ethnographic knives and daggers not currently displayed until I recently traded for this Bhutanese dossum, at which time I was inclined to dig it out.

The blade, which IMO appears more Tibetan than the Bonan blades in the above-linked thread, measures a little over 16 cm in length, and the knife a little over 28 cm in total. The spine is thick, measuring 6.6 mm at the hilt. Unlike the aforementioned dossum, in which the laminations were visibly evident, I cannot discern whether or not this blade is similarly laminated (and thus am half-tempted to undertake another attempt at etching).

The scabbard is wrapped in thick bands of engraved silver, between which are bands of thin copper alloy overlaying the steel that lies underneath. The hilt is of a trilobate cross section, and seems to recall trousse scabbards. In fact, there is a small space at the top fo the scabbard that looks almost as if it could accomodate a (very small) side knife, or possibly a wedge to secure the blade in the scabbard.

Anyway, all thoughts and comments are welcome.
Attached Images

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Sajen

Nice one, I really like this type of knifes. Here is my example: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=tibet

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Hi Detlef,

Thanks... I remember reading through your thread when I was combing the archives following my recent acquisition of the Bhutanese dagger.

Like this one, I always assumed those like yours - with the circumpunct motif on the bone grip slabs and the layered stacked pommel - to be Tibetan as well until reading the aforementioned thread.

I've always been drawn to the utilitarian 'user' knives, in no small part to my own accustomed habit of carrying an EDC knife for the last 30-odd years...

Cheers,
Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote