Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Luzon itak?

ferguson and robt had a similar type of sword/knife.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=luzon+sword

what is so weird is the shape of the blade itself. looks like a matulis type itak that was purposely chopped off, as if conforming to some regulation. kinda remind me of one of the hunting regulation here where all shotguns need some form of stopper so it can't have more than three deer slugs at one time. tom mentioned on that post:

Quote:
Nice. The sword is no doubt pleased. This style is a "cut point" version of another syle; the sweep and taper of the blade are very typical, and make sense only within the paradigm of the original, pointed version. This is not to say this is an altered blade, but more likely a blade originally made in a shape which is an altered version of an other, older shape, if you follow me; I'm sorry, but I have no good word for this type of sword when it has the point; I think Therion called a similar one a balasiong or like that. Anyway, this making of a tipless, theoretically/legalistically noncombative version, of swords is an European custom, and common in former Spainish colonies. In other words, the tip is made that way as a statement of nonviolent intent.
I think you're probably OK with the epoxy, but I'll suggest for future repairers that the Luzon cutlers not uncommonly fill a horn cavity at the butt with a wooden cone. Ooh! I knew I was gonna say something else; there's a thread, I think towards the end days of the old forum, where some member or members posted pics and advice about weaving split rattan-skin bindings
I tend to think this particular variation on the hoof shaped pommel is distinctly 20th c.; maybe even post wwII? Anyone got any better input on that?
could this be a spanish era piece then? if this is a WWII piece, then maybe it was done to satisfy the japanese occupiers.

the handle is carabao horn, while the ferrule, i believe, is iron. the scabbard's tip has that distinct "fish tail" design similar to ferguson's. OAL is 21", while the blade itself is 15.5". thickness is 5/16" at the base, tapering to 1/8" to the tip. would this still be considered as a knife, or a small sword? would love to hear everyone's comment on this one. thanks

ron
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Spunjer:

Hard to say if this one was made with a cut point, or simply lost its point over time and this is how it ended up. I would probably favor the latter because many of these matulis styles have tips that are bent or restraightened, and I've seen a couple where the tip has broken off.

I would consider this a short sword, in the manner of a European sidearm. Some might call it a long knife, and a blade length of 15-16 inches is sort of in between a long knife and short sword. I've read somewhere that a sword is usually considered to have a blade of 18 inches or longer, but I don't recall where I read that now.

This piece is from Luzon, perhaps Batangas.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Spunjer

thanks ian. as always, i know i can depend on you when it comes to obscure filipino sandatas, lol. maybe not obscure, it's just that these types aren't as popular as the moro's, and to an extent, the visayan's. this one has good balance; not too heavy and not too light. it just feels right in my hand. i feel that this is more of a weapon than a utility type. what do you think?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks ian. as always, i know i can depend on you when it comes to obscure filipino sandatas, lol. maybe not obscure, it's just that these types aren't as popular as the moro's, and to an extent, the visayan's. this one has good balance; not too heavy and not too light. it just feels right in my hand. i feel that this is more of a weapon than a utility type. what do you think?
Definitely a weapon, I believe. The narrow blade and point would have been excellent for stabbing, although it could probably deliver a decent slash. These are not really heavy enough for every day chopping chores, etc.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote