Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2019, 09:34 PM   #1
chiefheadknocker

Default unusual small little moro kris for id please

This little moro Kris is quite small compared to others ive had in the past , the blade is badly pitted especially on one side , I don't expect there is much you do for this , im not sure what region or age it might be , any info is helpful thanks
measures 56cm long blade is 43 cm
Attached Images

chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:24 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Seriously Chief? You seem to have stumbled upon the holy grail for Moro kris collectors. This is what Cato refers to as an "Archaic" kris. I suppose it is debatable how far back this form goes, but it would certainly be safe to say 17th century. Some might argue this form could be older. I'd say you particular blade could be as old as early 18thC. A very nice score! Congratulations!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:56 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Chief,

I agree with David--a very nice old Moro kris. The central panel of the blade may well be twist core. A clean and etch of the blade would be advisable I think. Congratulations on finding a nice antique form.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:14 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
The central panel of the blade may well be twist core. A clean and etch of the blade would be advisable I think.
Yes, i should have added this. If that is the case, then "holy grail". If not, still a pretty nice and rare find.
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:50 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I have one of this type of keris, it was given to me in settlement of a debt.

There is no doubt in my mind that this style is the original form of the keris intended as a cutting rather than a thrusting weapon, design is perfect for this purpose.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:00 AM   #6
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Seriously Chief? You seem to have stumbled upon the holy grail for Moro kris collectors. This is what Cato refers to as an "Archaic" kris. I suppose it is debatable how far back this form goes, but it would certainly be safe to say 17th century. Some might argue this form could be older. I'd say you particular blade could be as old as early 18thC. A very nice score! Congratulations!
Thanks david , i thought this style of blade were the earlier type ,but didnt realise it could be that old, and when i received the sword i was surprised how small it was compared to other moro kris ive owned in the past , its quite badly pitted though ,ive allready cleaned lots of rust off but how far do you go , i think its maybe best to leave it now .
regards
chief
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:50 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefheadknocker
i've allready cleaned lots of rust off but how far do you go , i think its maybe best to leave it now .
regards
Well, if it were mine i would surely try to give it an etch with vinegar to see if it has a twisted core. It won't harm the blade.
Old 3rd August 2019, 04:10 PM   #8
chiefheadknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well, if it were mine i would surely try to give it an etch with vinegar to see if it has a twisted core. It won't harm the blade.
I have cleaned the blade up a little more and tried some vinegar but cant see any pattern , would of been nice to see a twist core , nevermind cant win them all !
Old 4th August 2019, 04:58 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefheadknocker
I have cleaned the blade up a little more and tried some vinegar but cant see any pattern , would of been nice to see a twist core , nevermind cant win them all !
You might try to etch it after warming the blade. Vinegar can be a weak etchant on some steels. Also, make sure there is no residual oil or wax on the blade before etching. Isopropyl alcohol is my preferred agent for cleaning off any oil or grease before etching.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote