Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Slim Panabas. Other examples?

Not as flamboyant as other, broader panabas I have seen but I quite like it.

I haven't seen any other panabas like it, but it does scream Moro to me and the previous owner had identified it as a Panabas. This is the only example I believe I have seen. Does anyone have any other examples of these?
Attached Images

ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I LIKE IT TOO BUT TO DETERMINE PANABAS OR NOT? THE SIZE WILL BE AN IMPORTANT FACTOR. THE BLADE TO HANDLE RATIO IS CLOSER TO SWORD OR PARANG THAN TO MOST PANABAS. IF ITS QUITE LARGE I WOULD LEAN TOWARDS A FORM OF PANABAS IF SMALL A PARANG OR SWORD FORM. INTERESTING AND UNIQUE EITHER WAY AS I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS FORM EITHER.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 03:05 AM   #3
ThePepperSkull

The pattern on this blade and thickness is comparable to a Gasa/Pira I own. Perhaps it's a Yakan blade? Just conjecture on my part.

The blade is 50cm (19.75 inches) and the handle is 23cm (9 inches)
Old 7th June 2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

While I cannot honestly say that this is a panabas I can say that I have never seen anything quite like it before now. On the other hand I can say that I really like it and cannot wait to find out where it is originally from, its intended purpose and what it was for called. Can you tell us what the blade thickness is at the hilt? My congratulations to you on being able to acquire this very interesting item.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 06:58 AM   #5
ThePepperSkull

This is partly why I wanted to post it here. I called it a slim panabas, because it was sold to me by its original owner as a panabas. It could very well not be one, most definitely.

Perhaps it was an easier selling point than "parang" or "dha-like thing", and this is what I am leaning towards. The rattan weaving reminds me of moro wraps I have seen and as previously stated it is very similar in terms of pattern and thickness to a Gasa I have, but this could be my inexperienced self trying to see something that is not there. that being said, I defer to the forum's experise because the longer I have owned it the less sure I am of its origins.

The blade itself is actually quite thin and the last four inches of the spine is tapered to a sharp edge.

It is 5.5mm thick at the base of the blade.

Hmm, perhaps I should have named the title of this thread "What in the bleeding *^&% is this thing?"