Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
BBJW

Default WIDC Cutlass Mystery Marking

I'll try posting this again. Does anyone recognize the boat marking on the blade with F and H on either side of the mast? The cutlass is circa 1820 from the West India Dock Co. and probably issued to their security force.

bbjw
Attached Images

Last edited by BBJW; 13th February 2011 at 06:59 PM.
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Its great to see a classic cold case revisited!!! Thank you for posting this BJ.
This first appeared in 2008, and again in 2010, and it this unusual marking on the blade seems to have defied all of us. Even Capt. Mark, master of all things nautical could not find it in the usual resources, nor could I, even with my obsession with markings. However, I know there is profound interest in markings out there (the trademarks thread has now passed 18,000 hits...despite the last post being in 2009, so we know there are readers).

It seems clear of course that this cutlass belonged to the WIDC, the West India Docks Company at the port of London. These docks were installed to receive all produce and goods from the West Indies trade, and were begun in 1799, completed around 1808. It is known that the company employed an armed force of around 100 men equipped with muskets, pistols and swords to protect the docks and the commerce there. The West India Docks were located on the area of the port known as the Isle of Dogs.

Since the hilt is clearly marked WIDC #38, it compellingly suggests this weapon may be one of a very limited number as the force seems to have been around 100 men, and this was probably a rack number.

The marking is our dilemma, as it does not correspond to any known makers marks, but as discussed through the years, the figure with the cross above seems to recall merchants marks often using a cross with symbol or initials or both. While these are often considered in degree to have some association with marks such as the cross and orb seen on blades in earlier centuries, it seems that merchants marks themselves typically were used to identify goods or sometimes property (as in the case of East India Co. firearms).

In this case, as the WIDC establishes ownership for the weapon already, it seems more likely that it represents a makers mark (as Ed suggested long ago) and most likely a German maker, as in these times private contracts often used imported blades.

I had thought the odd stylized shape might represent a whale, with the cross atop, however the line across seems to loosely represent rigging as if to indicate this is a mast, rather than a cross. I only found one notable use of a whale with Jonah of course in mind, but that was J. Ohlig (1608-1659).
In earlier times, the cross was often crossed with a line to make it the number 4, on merchants marks, this to avoid religious issues in trade where Faiths other than Christianity were involved, obviously a common occurrence in cross cultural trade.

The only German maker who has initials that correspond, F.H. , seem to be Freidrich Horster Jr. (in bus. 1825-1875), and often used simply his initials alone on blades. In the often entanglement of the lineage of these Solingen firms, this firm seems later to have possibly been incorporated into E.W.Horster.
This F.Horster firm is believed to have used an English agent by 1860s, which seems much later than the period of this cutlass, but I am wondering if this cutlass might have been refurbished in that time. The hilt itself of course would be of the earlier period, though I am enclear on whether the same force would have been in place or whether the the London port authority would have been in place by then.

The curious mark remains unidentified, and these are the only initials that I can find which may correspond, and my thoughts. I would very much welcome those views of others who may have thoughts on this marking.

Has anyone seen a similar mark, or even simply the F.H. initials on blades?

attached map of West India Docks c.1799, and painting c.1808 of the docks

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote