Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th April 2011, 10:06 AM   #1
terry1956

Default medieval soldiers survived after battle

hi all, this maybe of interest to you all, its out of a UK newspaper showing what medieval weapons did do to the human body.
A massive haul of bones discovered in a medieval graveyard has given an insight into the medical capabilities of people 1,500 years ago.
The skeletons, found in central Italy, show that many soldiers buried close to one another survived after suffering blows to the head with maces and battle axes.
There are signs of medical interventions with one man going on to live despite having a two inch hole in his head, probably caused by a Byzantine mace.

The edges of the wound are smooth and have no fragments, suggesting the victim went through the equivalent of medieval brain surgery.
Anthropologist Mauro Rubini said 'Probably the margins were polished with an abrasive instrument.'
The bone, from around 500 and 700AD, had started healing and growing closed before the man died.
The findings will be covered in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

interesting .
michael
terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Edster

Michael,

Interesting post. We often view antique hand weapons from a romantic view and as works of industrial or ethnic art. However, their application in their untimate intended uses was to lop limbs and bash heads. The wounds must have been very damaging to the body and those who survived certainly carried the mark.

There is an emerging field of Battlefield Archaeology that studies battlefield reminants of all ages. These investigations place weapons use and the results in an historical context of fleah and bone and dirt.

Take care,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Interesting post. We often view antique hand weapons from a romantic view and as works of industrial or ethnic art. However, their application in their untimate intended uses was to lop limbs and bash heads. The wounds must have been very damaging to the body and those who survived certainly carried the mark.
The Chinese civilian arms I collect and study often show signs of use in conflict. I think about the bad situations they have potentially been a party to. I believe your comment on a "romantic view" of these things is important to bear in mind if a person is really interested in interpreting them honestly.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting post.
I am not sure if romantic notions really describe the serious study of weapons, as in my own perspective I view them rather clinically, and to me they are items of material culture rather than tools of death. While naturally this may sound naieve I can emphatically declare that it is not, and as I examine and study weapons I am looking at form, features, markings, and physical characteristics. I prefer not to imagine all the practical aspects of thier use unless absolutely necessary, and leave all the 'excitement' of martial detail to others who are intrigued by that sort of thing.

In archaeology however, one cannot expect not to uncover human remains, and in many instances of course, these have been deposited in less than natural circumstances, often reflecting violent end. Certainly many cases are the result of events other than combat or death by weapon, and the forensics involved are similarly investigated.

Richard Burton in the opening of his "Book of the Sword" said, " ...the history of the sword, is the history of mankind', an unfortunate truth, and there is of course a macabre intrigue in studying the grim results of mans darkest side. To see in actuality the actual dynamics of the battles typically portrayed heroically in movies or literature presents a surreal and somber dynamic that truly puts history in perspective, and strangely reminds us of our own mortality and hopefully, humanity.

For those reading who would like to pursue this topic further, among the fascinating resources out there, one well written study is " Anatomical Interpretations of Anglo-Saxon Weapon Injuries" by S.J. Wenham . This appears in "Weapons and Warfare in Anglo-Saxon England" (ed. Sonia Chadwicke Hawkes, Oxford, 1989, pp.123-139).
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote