Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Default Staying on the Japanese Theme: Japanese Trade Blades in SE Asia

I had posted this blade in another forum dedicated to the discussion of nihonto:

It is a tanto-mounted naginata. For those not already familiar with the term, naginata were the Japanese polearms mounted with single-edged Japanese tanto- and wakizashi-length blades, used by both Samurai and Japanese foot soldiers.

However, the mounting of this example is atypical of Japanese mountings, leading a couple members to suggest an attribution to the Ainu, the indigenous people of northern Hokaido, the Kuril Islands, and southern Sakhalin (Russia). Another poster suggested a possible attribution to one of the cultures or civilizations with whom the Japanese conducted trade.

This latter comment sent me on a quest for information regarding Japanese trade during the Tokugawa Shogunate (1603-1868). Wiki has a nice entry on the Japanese Red Seal trade, from which I read briefly about the export of Japanese blades and the existence of a mercenary community of Samurai and traders based in what is now present-day Nakkom Si Thammarat in southern Thailand.

This colony was led by Yamada Nagamasa and he had 300 Samurai at his disposal (there was also an expat population of Japanese in Ayutthaya that was estimated to number between 1,500 and 7,000). They even fought alongside the armies of Ayuthatya in military campaigns of Songtham, who ruled Ayutthaya from 1611-1628. Apparently, the Japanese also engaged in acts of piracy against the Dutch in the waters between their settlement and Jakarta in and around 1620.

Here is a map of the Japanese trade routes throughout SE Asia:

As one of their exports was swords, and given the sheer quantity of swords and edged weapons produced in the preceding 100 years during the Sengoku Jidai - the Age of the Country at War - what happened to all the trade blades that surely found there way from every port from Manila to Jakarta?

One poster on the other forum mentioned having encountered a dha-mounted naginata years ago in Germany. Does anyone here have a picture of such an example they can share? I cannot say I recall ever having seen firsthand a Japanese trade blade in native mountings.

Which brings me back full circle to this example… In addition to the habaki (the sleeve over the bottom of the blade), the tanto also had two menuki (small hilt ornaments) attached, both traditional Japanese mountings.

However, the ferrule, grip, grip cap/pommel are all non-traditional, as is the method by which the hilt is fastened to the nakago (tang). Of note are the stylistic elements that repeat on the ferrule and the top of the grip, a foliate vine pattern executed in black lacquer. There is also remnants of gold paint or gilt on both the ferrule and the pommel cap.

The rattan binding matches similar binding found on the lone Ainu tanto I have found. However, I have not seen nearly enough Ainu-mounted Japanese blades to form an opinion.

And while the aesthetics IMO are distinctly East Asian, could the use of similar organic (though not same IMO) material on the ferrule and cap, while recalling fuchi and kashira, also indicate a possible influence of native tastes, i.e., influence from peninsular cultures surrounding colonial outposts like the one in Nakkom Si Thammarat?
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 11:11 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Quaritch Wales (Ancient South East Asian Warfare) mentions large numbers of Japanese swords found in Cambodia, probably dating from 16th-17th centuries and raises the possibility of a local factory under Japanese direction.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 02:05 AM   #3
trenchwarfare

Very interesting information. I once saw a katana on fleabay, with very obvious African decorated fittings, and scabbard. On the weapon in question... Is the cutting edge on the inside, or outside of the curve?
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 05:33 AM   #4
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Very interesting information. I once saw a katana on fleabay, with very obvious African decorated fittings, and scabbard. On the weapon in question... Is the cutting edge on the inside, or outside of the curve?
The cutting edge is on the convex edge; as I understand it, other than double-edged moroha zukuri, the only japanese tanto with a cutting edge on the 'inside' of the curve, kubikiri, are blunt-nosed, i.e., they have no kissaki (point). The example shown above is tori-sori unokubi-zukuri, either a naginata-naoshi or a naginata-naoshi styled wakizashi.
Old 21st August 2012, 05:44 AM   #5
trenchwarfare

Thanks. I was wondering, it it might be a Kubikiri. They tend to have non-traditional style hilts. Possibly Ainu, as stated.
Old 21st August 2012, 05:50 AM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Another member on NMB who collects Ainu cutlery strongly suggests an attribution to the Matagi, the bear-hunting mountain men of northeastern Honshu...

Here's a couple more photos of the above example:
Attached Images

Old 21st August 2012, 06:05 AM   #7
trenchwarfare

Thanks for the additional photos. Would love to have seen it, before GI Bubba, and his decendants ravaged it for the last 70 years.
Old 21st August 2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Emanuel

Hello,

A forum member here has a very impressive katana blade from Thailand. The fittings were Thai but made to resemble Japanese fittings. The handle, for example was a dark/black wood carved to resemble the wrap on Japanese handles. A gorgeous sword actually.

I don't recall the name, but there is a recent Thai/Japanese film about samurai mercenaries at various Thai courts, very interesting and fairly well done IIC. I'll look for the name...

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Hello,

A forum member here has a very impressive katana blade from Thailand. The fittings were Thai but made to resemble Japanese fittings. The handle, for example was a dark/black wood carved to resemble the wrap on Japanese handles. A gorgeous sword actually.

Hello Emanuel,

Any chance we might entice said forum member into posting a photograph of said Thai-mounted katana?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 21st August 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
David R

Default Trade blade in China.

In the Royal Armouries Leeds there is a large Japanese Katana/Nodachi in a very long hilt that came from China. As part of the convertion the Chinese had forged the tang out to a long wittle tang and then peened it over the pommel to hold it, rather than using the flat tang and peg it had been made with.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:06 AM   #11
DhaDha

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Hello Emanuel,

Any chance we might entice said forum member into posting a photograph of said Thai-mounted katana?

Cheers,

Chris

Sure!
At almost 40 inches it is a bit of monster. I've been lucky enough to handle a few of this style and this is the largest. Others have had different blade styles but similar handles, with the wrapped-style decoration, and oval profile. I find the different cultures represented fascinating.
Attached Images

DhaDha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 02:43 AM   #12
DhaDha

BTW I believe the blade to be locally made, in the spirit of a Katana.
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2012, 04:54 AM   #13
laEspadaAncha

Howdy DD...

Thank you for posting these images of this fascinating - and beautiful - dha variant. The hilt is most definitely made in the style of an ito-wrapped tsuka, and it is the first time I have ever seen this feature borrowed by and incorporated into another culture's indigenous weaponry.

I also agree the blade is not nihonto, but rather is a local interpretation of a katana blade. By your estimation, how old is this dha?

David: Interesting find, and thanks for posting it... You wouldn't happen to have a photo of that long hilt, would you? As it so happens, the curator emeritus of that collection is involved in the discussion of this piece over at NMB. He's about to leave on vacation but has said he is going to take a picture of another 'pseudo-naginata' in the Royal Armoury Museum when he returns... I'll ask him about the piece you're speaking of.
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:08 AM   #14
Emanuel

Yup, that's the one
D, I had forgotten the blade was local, just the general impression remained. I do recall it was a pleasure to handle.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:06 PM   #15
DhaDha

Hey Emanuel, glad you were talking about this one You do remember correctly. Pretty nimble for such a large piece. Glad you liked it.

laEspadaAncha, these are often attributed to the Ayutthaya Period (1350-1767). But I've seen them come from right up to the 1800s as well. I'd say this this one is on the older side of what I've handled and seen. Around 1680-1700? Hard to say though. By the way, they also exist with Chinese-styled blades. But still sporting the Japanese styled hilts, and SEA fittings. Pretty cool.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Andrew

Outstanding sword, DhaDha! Thanks for sharing it.

Based on the repousse work and blade markings, however, I would place the age of your sword a bit later than the Ayutthaya period and would lean more towards the late 18th/early 19th century (Rattanakosin period). Many pieces from this period evoke or are in a "revival" of Ayutthaya design.

Here is an example from my collection with similar silver work dating to the early 19th C.:
Attached Images

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Andrew

The few, true, surviving Ayutthaya period swords I have handled have iron fittings, often with gold and/or silver koftgari and more...delicate (?) and refined blades and workmanship. An Ayutthaya sword from my collection:
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2012, 11:31 PM   #18
DhaDha

Thumbs up

Great swords! Really.
This is why i try not to go on record dating these things. My own opinion changes often. That said, I do feel this one be older than that estimation. But maybe a bit younger than mine. There is at least one example in the National Museum in Bangkok with a Japanese-styled silver handle attributed to the Ayutthaya period. With so many different styles of swords worn by so my different groups, I have a hard time with hard rules...
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2012, 02:47 AM   #19
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhaDha

Sure!
At almost 40 inches it is a bit of monster. I've been lucky enough to handle a few of this style and this is the largest. Others have had different blade styles but similar handles, with the wrapped-style decoration, and oval profile. I find the different cultures represented fascinating.
Wonderful piece Dha Dha, thanks for sharing!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:48 AM   #20
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
The few, true, surviving Ayutthaya period swords I have handled have iron fittings, often with gold and/or silver koftgari and more...delicate (?) and refined blades and workmanship. An Ayutthaya sword from my collection:
Andrew, breath taking piece...never get tired of seeing this one...fantastic condition.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhaDha
Great swords! Really.
This is why i try not to go on record dating these things. My own opinion changes often. That said, I do feel this one be older than that estimation. But maybe a bit younger than mine. There is at least one example in the National Museum in Bangkok with a Japanese-styled silver handle attributed to the Ayutthaya period. With so many different styles of swords worn by so my different groups, I have a hard time with hard rules...
Thanks.

Can't really argue with you too strenuously--my opinions on these change as well, and truly old Thai swords with reliable, documented provenance are scarce.

I will observe, however, that rattan (and other similar organic materials) like that on the handle of the top sword, does not generally survive in such good condition on swords that are 300+ years old...
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Andrew, breath taking piece...never get tired of seeing this one...fantastic condition.
Thanks, Nathaniel.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #23
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Howdy DD...

David: Interesting find, and thanks for posting it... You wouldn't happen to have a photo of that long hilt, would you? As it so happens, the curator emeritus of that collection is involved in the discussion of this piece over at NMB. He's about to leave on vacation but has said he is going to take a picture of another 'pseudo-naginata' in the Royal Armoury Museum when he returns... I'll ask him about the piece you're speaking of.
Sorry for the delay, here are pics of the remodeled katana/nodachi.
Attached Images

Old 8th September 2012, 03:14 AM   #24
Gavin Nugent

I'd love a good clear shot of the Gou (hook swords) to compare with the pair I have....
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 11:44 PM   #25
David R

I will see what I can do next time I go in.