Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 4th December 2014, 09:01 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default French Officer's naval fighting sword, 1795-1800

I just got hit with a massive bill and must secure funds to pay it! I've decided to put this beauty up for sale-

This is a French pre-Napoleonic naval and marine officer's fighting sword. The hilt is fine brass with a knuckle bow that swivels to protect the hand while in battle. The brass has a beautiful patina to it, the guard is of the four-slot pattern with scalloped decoration and a shell-like pattern to the forward guard's base. Grip is copper wire and pommel cap has a diamond pattern decoration. The plain fighting blade is in the style of a cutlass and fully intact, no chips or cracks. I'm taking a loss on this one, but I need funds fast, so ask questions and/or make me an offer if reasonable!

$850 plus shipping. I must sell quickly, so this 'Master & Commander' era sword is only here for a limited time before I'll have to resort to eBay-
Mark
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 12:53 AM   #2
M ELEY

Forgot to mention some of the history behind this sword-type. See Gilkerson's 'Boarders Away' for a similar example.

See Annis 'Swords for Sea Service' for a near exact example. This sword is found in the British Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The sword belonged to Captain Louis L'Heritier of the ship L'Hurcule (active 1798), captured and handed over to the mortally wounded Captain Alexander Hood of the HMS Mars on 21,April 1798.
Old 6th December 2014, 08:41 PM   #3
M ELEY

Default Reduced...

Now $825 with free shipping. Anybody?
Old 7th December 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
M ELEY

Well, I'm in desperation mode here and no money for the kids at Christmas (yes, I'm going for the guilt trip, but its true! ). My lowest, lowest offer at a quarter less than I paid for it-

$700 and we split the shipping. Final offer before I resort to that other seller market-
Old 10th December 2014, 06:28 PM   #5
M ELEY

Auction closed...off to eBay-