Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th January 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Newbie with Kampilan questions

Hi everybody,

Newbie here. I registered awhile back and have been lurking here for quite some time now, this forum is just filled with great information, I'm learning a lot and I can't get enough. Thanks to Spunjer I now have a new "expensive" hobby. A little about myself, I guess I would say Im somewhat of an amatuer researcher on Philippine history; particularly the Philippine Revolution, Philippine American War, and on up to the Moro uprisings. Being heavily influenced by this time period has got me curious about weapons(both firearms and blades) of that era...and after hearing an ear full from Spunjer on another forum, I finally began my own little collection of Philippine weapons late last year.

Well anyways, I got questions on a Kampilan I acquired this year(gotta love the sellers that don't know what they have). Not that I know everything, but this one looks to be somewhat unique(Im guessing). The guard has a serpent carved in to it(both sides) and the blade has some symbols engraved in to it(the symbol is "mirrored" on the other side as well). Also Spunjer had a thread a few days ago about a brassy colored blade on one of his kris's...this Kampilan also has a very brassy finish to it. Looking at the blade straight on it appears like a regular silver finish(like the photo of tip), but once looking at the blade at an angle, the brassy finish shines through significantly(it is really yellow). This is throughout the entire blade of the sword...there are some dings and it looks like it is not just a surface coating. Also if anyone has info of the era and possible region this one is from, please let me know. Tried to take pics the best I could of this...sorry, Im no pro at photography either. Hope you guys like this one.

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

-Kevin
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Hi Kevin, that's a super looking piece; congratulations and welcome !

The asymetrical guard is seen more rarely then the typical kamp guard; this feature may help to locate the area of origin .

How about a close up of the handle/pommel ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi Kevin,
What a nice looking sword, sorry I don't know enough about these to to really add to the discussion of it, but I can certainly add to Ricks welcome!

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'd like to welcome you as well Dimasalung! and as a 'kamp follower' I'll join in congratulating you on a great acquisition. There is a great deal of knowledge around here on these weapons, as you note, and Spunjer certainly is one of the pillars of that core.
A word of caution.....watch out for 'sellers who dont know what they have' !!
This is one of many old ploys used often in the sale of collectibles and antiques. Most individuals, even dealers involved in selling these items will ask many questions before selling them, and we constantly encounter posts from folks trying to find out what they have and how much its worth.

Its great to have you here joining us, knowledge is the best weapon you can own, and here we all learn together.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Hi Kevin
welcome here, my knowledge in Far-East weapons is nil, I may just appreciated the esthetic of it, and a little bit more, if there is some thing writting in "arabic.
On the blade of your Kampilan, the name of "God" in arabic script.

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Dimasalang

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! After digging through the archives from this forum, it feels like I have been missing out on a lot of great stuff and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information. Wish I knew about this place years ago, could of helped answer questions I had for the longest time...really happy to be here and hopefully I can contribute in someway.

I'll try and get more close up pics of the handle/pommel Rick. Thanks for the insight Jim. Thanks Dom for that translation!..been contemplating the symbols since I got the sword.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Bill M

Also a warm welcome!

Your kampilan has a similar shaped guard to mine. When I posted this I meant to say "unusual guard," not "unusual hilt."

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...usual+kampilan
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Also a warm welcome!

Your kampilan has a similar shaped guard to mine. When I posted this I meant to say "unusual guard," not "unusual hilt."

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...usual+kampilan

Hi Bill, YES they are very close to one another. Nice piece! Is yours in the shape of an animal? I wish mine didn't have so much damage.