Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2010, 12:47 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A heavy spear (lance) head ... or what?

Some kind of polearm head, like a partizan or the like?
I guess gate iron rails (this the name?) are not so (sort of) sharp like in this case.
Neither would they be so large; this blade measures 45 cms (17 3/4").
On the other hand, the socket denounces to be a later work ... both "pipe" and rim.
What would this be?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:54 AM   #2
M ELEY

Hmmm...if it is a polearm head, I'd vote for a pike. The triangular/leaf-shape was the earlier form pre-1750 (the later ones found in Rev War-era America had sockets like this and doubled as "trench spears". Likewise, colonial Spanish polearms had sockets as this often without even a hole to secure it to the haft. Langets were not a requirement on pike heads despite popular opinion ). Later pikes had the 4-sided spike type end.
www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7784984

The widened end of the socket bothers me a bit, though. Never seen one like that. With a sharpened flat blade, though, I don't see it being just a fence post. Still, there are other types with a widened base to consider, I guess, such as these spears-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileervish,_1913.jpg

A Tibetan dung-
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9793451..._2074_37529329

Last edited by M ELEY; 22nd December 2010 at 03:15 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:46 PM   #3
thinreadline

Default re Pole arm head

I agree that this is most likely 18th C and from the American Revolution. Perhaps a spontoon. I have a similar one in my own collection , tho' admittedly w/o the conspicuous socket rim . There are some examplesl in Swords and Blades of the American Revolution which share some of these characteristics. In the case of my own one the shaft is covered in animal skin, possibly deer , which is stitched on.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

I, too, keep if for a sort of spontoon and 18th century. Earlier lance/pike heads usually had more pronouncedly raised central ribs and long side straps for the haft.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:25 PM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Hmmm...if it is a polearm head, I'd vote for a pike. The triangular/leaf-shape was the earlier form pre-1750 (the later ones found in Rev War-era America had sockets like this and doubled as "trench spears". Likewise, colonial Spanish polearms had sockets as this often without even a hole to secure it to the haft. Langets were not a requirement on pike heads despite popular opinion ). Later pikes had the 4-sided spike type end.
www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7784984

The widened end of the socket bothers me a bit, though. Never seen one like that. With a sharpened flat blade, though, I don't see it being just a fence post. Still, there are other types with a widened base to consider, I guess, such as these spears-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileervish,_1913.jpg

A Tibetan dung-
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9793451..._2074_37529329
The thickened rim is not so unusual , it can be seen in 18th / early 19th C British bayonet sockets. Also some American made spontons had a thick sliding ring which helped to lock the socket on to the shaft.. sometimes these become rusted into position and appear as if they are part of the socket proper.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:49 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, Gentlemen.
I am usualy skeptical when it comes to relating (my) findings with origins like the American Revolution, for obvious geographical reasons. This wouldn't be the case if or when i acquire them in international sources, through the Internet; but this one, as many others, was bought locally, from a street fair vendor.
Concerning the blade ridge, there is in fact one in this example, but so tenuous that it practicaly doesn't show in the pictures.
Definitely the base of this blade once had a different format; looking inside the present socket we can see a section of the original one, with about an inch length, cutt off and welded to the present conical rimmed tube.
So it could originally have had langets or, giving wings to imagination, could have had a handle, like a short sword. I know this is not so plausible; just fell like talking nonsense

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote